Upgrade to 4.0 Hardware Virtualization disabled

timaios

Bit poster
I have worked under 3.0 more or less stable. Thus the Hardware virtualization seems to work.

However after the upgrade to 4.0 the virtual machine start fails with the error message:
"Unable to start the virtual machine "xyz.. The virtual machine cannot be started because the hardware
virtualization support is disabled on your mac..."

1) this can not be true. See my comments above. If this message would be true, 3.0 would not have worked

2) "..contact the parallels support team for assistance". ok, how ?? in the website
http://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/upgrade/

There are links only to the FAQ and troubleshooter, but there is no link to report issues (at least I could not find any)

Firmware update in my MacMini is up2date.

Any idea?

Thanks

Alex
 
this can not be true. See my comments above. If this message would be true, 3.0 would not have worked

PD 3.0 can work in software virtualization mode (i.e. without VT-x). PD 4.0 does not support this mode anymore.
 
Ok, thanks. However how can I solve this issue? I have followed the FAQ and the instructions given in:
http://kb.parallels.com/en/5653

Resolution
How to check that Intel VT-x is supported in CPU:
1. Open Terminal application from Application/Utilities


2. Copy/paste command bellow

sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features

3. You may see output similar to the one bellow

Mac:~ user$ sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu.features
kern.exec: unknown type returned
machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON VMX EST TM2 TPR PDCM

If you see VMX entry then CPU supports Intel VT-x feature, but it still may be disabled.
Please install all firmware updates from Apple to resolve this issue


I DO see the VMX entry, however it may be disabled (?). However there is no newer EFI Firmware update from Apple as the 1.1 and I have it in my MacMini (2GB, 1,67 GHZ, Leopard)

Any idea ??

thanks

Alex
 
Now that I think about it, I think I understand what Carmack et al want, and it makes a lot of sense: complete exposure of the virtual memory system through a standard DirectX interface. It would make writing something like MegaTexturing a lot simpler.
Virtualization
 
Back
Top