Upgrade to 4560: Extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by cmason, Aug 19, 2007.

1. cmason

cmason Junior Member

After upgrade to 4560: Extremely slow, Kernel Panics

I just upgraded to 4560 (from 2.2, I *think* -- is there a log of parallels installations somewhere?) and windows runs *extremely* slowly. In the past (under pre-3.0 versions of parallels), booting to the windows desktop took somewhere around 2 minutes. Now it's taking hours, literally. I waited over two hours to get to a desktop. It takes 20 seconds to bring up the start menu.

Could this be related to parallels tools? Do I need to manually upgrade or uninstall them? Also, I do have older bootcamp drivers (1.2 beta I think) installed. Could this be the source of the problem?

I'm running XP under 4560 under a macbook pro with 2GB RAM and OS X 10.4.10. I've allocated 1000MB to Windows, and no other applications are running (according to "top" the machine is not swapping). Parallels only uses about 10% CPU all the time.

Also, two attempts to shut down the virtual machine have both resulted in an OS X Kernel Panic ("You must restart your computer.").

Any help would be most appreciated.

-c

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  2. cmason

cmason Junior Member

Also slow with build 5060, Bootcamp 1.4 drivers

I also tried Parallels build 5060 and Bootcamp 1.4 drivers. Somewhat faster, but still unacceptably slow: Windows XP running in Parallels reaches the Windows login screen in ~1 minute, but after giving password takes more than 30 minutes to reach the desktop.

It seems like there are intermittent pauses (eg the animation in the "Loading your personal settings" window pauses for minutes at a time). Also, sound comes in 1 second bursts separated by 2-5 seconds. Interestingly, mouse tracking seems fine. Parallels only uses 8-15% CPU during this entire process. I hear very little disk activity.

Same Windows installation logs in and runs fine under Bootcamp in under 2 minutes. XP SP2 with all the latest patches.

Any help most appreciated,

-c

PS- I also thought this might have been related to having OpenAFS installed under OS X, but unmounting AFS and unloading the AFS kext seems to have no effect.

PPS- Note also that "DirectX" is disabled (by default in my installation) in this VM.

PPPS- Further, no external devices are attached.

3. brkirch

brkirch Pro

There is definitely something wrong, my VM never takes more than about a minute to fully boot and get to the Windows desktop. Make sure your Parallels Tools are up-to-date, manually upgrade them if they have not been upgraded already. Go to the "Edit" menu, select "Virtual Machine...", select the "Advanced" tab under "Options", and make sure the acceleration level is set to high, Intel VT-x support is enabled, and optimize for better performance is set to virtual machine.

4. cmason

cmason Junior Member

Upgrade 3188 -> 4560/5060: Unusably slow

The previous version of Parallels was 3188. The 3188 parallels tools are still installed.

How do I manually install Parallels Tools if I can't boot? I can't do it from within Parallels because it's unusably slow (I selected "Install Parallels Tools" yesterday and waited over two hours and it hadn't even brought up the installer yet). When I try to remove Parallels tools (using Add/Remove Programs) while booted via Bootcamp, I get an error that says I must be running under a virtual machine. How do I force the removal of Parallels tools when not running under Parallels?

All of these settings are already set.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

-c

5. cmason

cmason Junior Member