Upgrading from parallels 8 to 11

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Gwen Nadin, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if you could answer a query for me regarding parallels and legacy family tree.
    I have Legacy 8 deluxe version and parallels 8 using windows xp. I have Osx 10.85 on my mac side. I want to update to Parallels 11 which I have purchased but I remember getting an on screen message saying something like 'parallels 11 will not run on a mac without ?' I think it might have been telling me to update my mac os version. It stated that the program would not open unless I updated???
    Are you able to advise me which way round I am meant to do the upgrade? Is it ok to install yosemite on the mac side then upgrade to parallels 11 or do I do it the other way around. I do not want to get stuck and not be able to open Legacy 8.
    Thanks so much for your advice on this
    Warm regards
    Gwen

2. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Gwen,
    Follow the below steps to safely upgrade your Parallels Desktop and Mac.
    1. First , take a backup of your virtual machine - copy the .pvm files in an external hard drive.
    2. Then upgrade your Mac OS X as your current Mac OS is not compatible to run Parallels Desktop 11, please refer to this article .
    3. Now install Parallels Desktop 11

3. Gwen Nadin

Gwen Nadin Member

Thank you so much for your patience and explaining to me how to go about installing Yosemite and en parallels. I have managed to do it all today after fully backing up pvm and a time machine backup of my Mac. I truly appreciate your help and time with this query. Magic

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

You are welcome Gwen! Feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help! Thanks!