Upgrading to Windows 10 64bit from a Windows 7 32bit

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by OlivierP1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. OlivierP1

OlivierP1 Bit poster

A few years ago, I bought a copy of Windows 7 from within Parallels Desktop. To my dismay, it was a 32bit version instead of 64bit (despite me specifically asking for a 64bit copy). It wasn't that big of a deal since Parallels ran fine.

Now, I'm looking to upgrade to Windows 10 but I don't want a 32bit version (which, apparently, exists). After a some time searching in Google, I found documentation/steps from the Parallels team that I can upgrade using a "MediaCreationTool.exe" app that I've downloaded. There's a 32bit version and a 64bit version of the same tool.

Here's the thing, the 64bit version of the tool won't run (obviously) because my system is 32bit, but I don't want to run the 32bit version if it's just going to install the 32bit version of Windows 10. So the question is: does the 32bit version of the MediaCreationTool only install a 32bit version of Windows 10?

If I run the tool, the first step I get in Windows 10 setup is "Upgrade this PC now" without any indication of any choices in the matter.

More importantly, how do I get Windows 10 64bit installed without buying a completely new licence for a free upgrade?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

You cannot upgrade a 32-bit OS into a 64-bit OS. You need to reinstall Windows 7 as a 64-bit OS and then upgrade to Windows 10.