USB connectivity problem with Garmin iQue -"The selected port, COM1 is not available"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mschool, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mschool

mschool Member

Mac OS X: 10.4.10
    Parallels Build 3212
    HW: iMac Intel Dual Core with 2GB of Ram

Windows Guest OS is XP Pro
    Parallels is configured with 1GB of Ram

The device I'm having problems with is a Garmin iQue 3600. It is a Palm device with GPS.

When I attempt to sync the Garmin with Hot Sync Manager, XP error window tells me:
    The selected port, COM1, is not available at this time. HotSync Manager will open the port when it becomes available.

Parallels error window tells me:
    USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again.

Well, of course I have tried all that. Re-started the Garmin. Checked to see if Parallels would recognize USB flash drives. They work. But I seem to be in a loop with the Garmin.

Anybody know the solution?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. ninefingers

ninefingers Bit poster

I have V5582 installed, I started parallels (not the windows and used the add Hardware option) and added a serial 1 port using parallels defaults. I configured my iQue3600 to use the USB Cradle and with Palm selected com1 at maximum speed.
    The first tim I tried to HotSync, Palm froze. I restarted Palm within windows and I got it to Hot Sync.
    The only problem I had next, was, my iQue3600 request a Palm Restart, needing set the date. 'fingers crossed', it seems to be working OK now. Next move is to unlock the V7 City Select and build some maps.
    Steve 2/9/08 1229 EST

This is what parallels suggested...
    Please download and install our special build with USB fixes
    http://download.parallels.com/stuff/Parallels-Desktop-5582.5-Mac-en.dmg

Try this sequence to connect your Palm
    1) press the HotSync button on your Palm
    2) Switch to Parallels
    3) Turn Coherence off and go back to an OS Window
    4) Click on the USB icon and tell it to attach to your Palm device
    5) Cancel the HotSync on your Palm
    6) Start the HotSync again