USB Device Errror Message

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TonyH, Jun 26, 2007.

1. TonyH

TonyH Bit poster

I'm sure that this must be discussed somewhere already on this forum, but I can't seem to find it, so I'll ask (again).

I seem to have problems trying to connect almost all of my USB devices (RIM/ Blackberry Pearl, HP Printer, and even a memory stick). When I click on the USB icon running at the bottom menu bar it shows the device, but when I try to access it, I get an error message saying that another program is already using that device. I've disconnected and reconnected, but still the same message. The main reason I bought this machine (MacBook Pro) was to be able to run Windows with the Parallels program and get the performance I couldn't get with Virtual PC. If this USB device issue is this tough, what is going to happen with an external Expresscard 34 peripheral.

Any help?

Thanks,
    T.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What Parallels version (include Parallels tools version in Windows), and what OS X version?

3. TonyH

TonyH Bit poster

Sorry, that might help. Parallels Desktop for Mac, build 3212, MacOSX 10.4.10, MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 2Gb. I also should mention that my USB mouse works fine, but the other devices I mentioned give me that error message.

4. TonyH

TonyH Bit poster

USB Device Error - Status Update

I just installed build 3214 and it seems to have fixed the problem, at least for the USB memory stick. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see about the Blackberry.

I would still like to know if this program will support the ExpressCard 34 slot devices. Anyone had any experience with that?

Thanks
    Tony

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Can't help with the Blackberry cuz I can't replicate it as I don't have one. For printing use Bonjour for Windows from Apple (free download). This allows your Mac to run as a printer server so that you can print reliably in both OS X and Windows. Printers were never designed for this schizophrenic world of virtualization and don't handle having concurrent machines trying to manage them. If you let OS X do the managing things work out better.

Share out the printer
    Install Bonjour for Windows
    Use the Bonjour wizard to install the shared printer in Windows
    Print.

6. tizzy

tizzy Bit poster

USB Devices

Oh thank goodness, I have everyone here in Whyalla, South Australia stumped with this one. I am getting the same message when I try and connect to the Windows side. Has anyone been able to help you. If so could you please let me know. I'm at the tearing out hair stage.

7. TonyH

TonyH Bit poster

Hi, as I mentioned in the last post, once I downloaded the latest build revision, it seems to have solved my problem. I still have some more testing to do, and I'm still waiting to hear back from anyone about the ExpressCard 34 slot (I should have my card today and be able to check it out over the weekend). That's all I've got, good luck. Make sure you have the latest build revision.

8. Sally

Sally Bit poster

What do you mean by Share out the printer? My IMAC is also hooked up to an office copy machine that acts as a printer when I'm not using Parallels. Will installing Bonjour affect my ability to copy and scan from that piece of equipment?

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Bonjour generally allows Windows to see any printer the Mac can see and share. Bonjour is a very basic program for Windows and is easily removed if it introduces problems though I have never seen problems with it.

10. tizzy

tizzy Bit poster

Am currently used build 3188, my tech here said that is the latest version, where do I go to download 3214? Tks.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Tizzy - use the Update option in Parallels. It should locate build 3214. The Update option is found in the Parallels Help menu.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  12. Kenny

Kenny Bit poster

I did this and it worked for my Sandisk! Thank you, dkp:) !

13. Sally

Sally Bit poster

Update didn't help me

I installed Bonjour two days ago and it worked great - I was able to print anything I wanted. I left my computer for two days, (I did shut it down, not just to sleep) and tonight I'm not able to get anything to print. It says the printer is paused and I do not have authority. I did successfully download and install version 3214, but it hasn't helped. What do you suggest? I really need my printer. Thank you advance for any assistance you can provide.

14. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You say you do not have authority; what process is running that tells you that?

15. Sally

Sally Bit poster

The message is found

First when I first open Parallels I'm still getting the message that the USB port is busy with another program. Then when I try to print it acts like it will print, but nothing happens. When I open the printers & faxes from the start menu and then click to open the printer I want to use the message at the top says paused and when I try to either delete or unpause the jobs it says on the bottom line of the box access denied.I solved the problem. I was just going to start over by deleting the printer and reinstall everything, but after I deleted the printer (the one created Friday) I decided to test my trusty standby and it worked! So for now anyway I am able to print my deposit slips and checks. Until I log off and come back to it. I hope the newer version of Parallels will help me avoid these types of problems. THank you for trying.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007