USB device filter on VID/PID not name

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JohnW86, Oct 28, 2022.

1. JohnW86

JohnW86 Bit poster

Recently moved a guest Linux (Arch) OS from VirtualBox to Parallels, having used Parallels for Windows for the last few years.
    All working fine other than the fact I use the guest machine for embedded development and so have certain USB devices I always want to connect to the Linux guest.

On VirtualBox, one can set USB device filters based on the VID and PID rather than name/serial - I cannot find a away to do this with either the GUI or CLI tool. The problem being, that devices often appear with different names (NAME #XXX) if plugged into different ports or just a new device. I want all JLINK tools to attach to the Linux guest for example but cannot do this without manually having to attach each device I plug in. It's a pain because I often forget and then wonder why my device is missing on the guest!

Am I missing the option somewhere, or can it be added?

2. JohnW86

JohnW86 Bit poster

Tumbleweed...
    I guess the answer is now but I feel like this feature should exist for a premium product like this and would not be hard to implement with existing command line tools.
    As a stop gap, I've solved it with a USB LaunchAgent that calls a script to add the device using prlsrvctrl: https://github.com/tuna-f1sh/mac-device-connect-daemon