USB Devices

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by dterbush, Mar 1, 2007.

1. dterbush

dterbush Bit poster

Ok, I just installed Parallels for Mac and Windows XP Professional (I do not know what service pack it has atm) and when I connect a Lexar Jumpdrive (it's a little 128 MB USB storage device), the icon for it shows up on the Mac, but I cannot access it when I switch to Windows. I tried ejecting it from the Mac OS and then trying to access it (both by going to My Computer and looking for it from within Windows and by going to Paralleles Desktop and going to USB devices) and both fail. When I go to MY Computer, it isn't there. When I go to Parallels Desktop, I se the Jumpdrive but when I select it I recive the notice that it is busy and try again in 5-10 seconds. I have tried altering the VM to have USB devices be automatically connected and I have also tried it with the default setting which is to manually connect. Neither works. Any idea how I can get simple USB storage devices to be able to be used from within a Windows XP VM?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

it may be a file sharing issue
    try Parallels >> menu >> devices >> shared folders >> add

a BELKIN powered USB 2 hub outside the MacBook Pro seeemd to help some issues

Huh W

3. stresover

stresover Bit poster

I had problems with a Lexar jump drive being grabbed by the mac. My Kingstom USB drive works better in Parallels. I heard from a computer guru that the Lexar brand has some pre-existing stuff that causes problems for mac/parallels users. Am using the newest Parallels version 3186. I also learned from the computer guru that you eject the USB drive from the PC like you do from the mac. There's a little icon in the lower bar on the PC.

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

With the jumpdrive plugged in, open Disk Utility in OS 10. If it is in the list at all, either unmount it or eject it, or both. Now try it in Parallels. If you have any other USB devices mounted, unmounting them as well might release something that is froze.

I had a similar problem one day with my external USB drive with 3 different formatted partitions on it. The actual partitions were not mounted, but the drive device was in the list in Disk Utility. After I ejected it, things worked normally.