I recently purchased a WD 160GB USB hard drive, with the intent of using it with Parallels. At first, everything worked suprisingly well. I selected the device "External HDD" from the device menu, formatted it for NTFS from my Virtual Machine.... I had repeatly restarted the VM and mounted and umounted the drive.... I was happy camper.
Then, two days into using the drive, switching to the device via the Parallels menu stopped working. And I would end up in one of 2 states:
From the VM I would get an endless display of the followig message (multiple Alerts stacked on top of each other)
"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."
OR
From the Mac I would see that hard disk volume was being mounted and re-mounted over and over again. The only soultion would for this is to unplug the drive.
It would be great to be a happy camper again. What bit of "state" on the Mac or VM do I need to clear out to make this work again?
Oh, and one other thing, if the VM starts up with my external USB hard drive NTFS mounted in the Finder (read-only), the VM will refuse to start saying something to the effec tthat "my Boot Camp configuration is too freaky for it to deal with".
Any help, as soon as possible, would be greatly appreciated.
Then, two days into using the drive, switching to the device via the Parallels menu stopped working. And I would end up in one of 2 states:
From the VM I would get an endless display of the followig message (multiple Alerts stacked on top of each other)
"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again."
OR
From the Mac I would see that hard disk volume was being mounted and re-mounted over and over again. The only soultion would for this is to unplug the drive.
It would be great to be a happy camper again. What bit of "state" on the Mac or VM do I need to clear out to make this work again?
Oh, and one other thing, if the VM starts up with my external USB hard drive NTFS mounted in the Finder (read-only), the VM will refuse to start saying something to the effec tthat "my Boot Camp configuration is too freaky for it to deal with".
Any help, as soon as possible, would be greatly appreciated.