USB redirection not working

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Windows' started by ParallelsU320, Dec 17, 2019.

1. ParallelsU320

ParallelsU320 Junior Member

Hallo,
    I have followed the instruction of https://kb.parallels.com/de/123961, in order to enable USB Redirection, enabling RemoteFX USB redirection in gpedit and gave rights to Admin and Users. But the USB Stick still can not be redirected in RDP.
    Parallels Version : 17.1 (build 21669)
    Parallels Client installed in Windows 10 OS.
    RAS Server installed in Windows Server 2019.

Does anyone know the reason and the solution? I am glad to hear your answer. Thanks.
    Greeting

2. jpc

jpc Pro

A USB stick/drive is treated as a file system by windows. All you need to do is to make sure that drive redirection is enabled both on the server (on by default) and on the client side (also on by default). If needed, configure the drive redirection to allow redirection of "disk drives that I plug in later".

If, on the other hand, your USB stick is not a drive but some other type of hardware (like a token), then, apart from enabling USB redirection like you already did, you have to enable "devices" redirection on the client side. Once enabled, plug in the device and ensure that you can see it from the "configure devices" dialog. If the device is not there, it will not be redirected.

3. ParallelsU320

is RemoteFX still supported in Windows Server 2019 ? From the test I found that some other devices could not be redirected either, for example Smart Card, Android Smartphone via USB for fotos transfer, USB-Scanning, OIP-USB-Headset. According to some technical articals, the reason ist that RemoteFX will not be supported.

4. jpc

jpc Pro

RemoteFX vGPU is used for graphics acceleration and is deprecated in Windows Server 2019. However, RemoteFX USB redirection is a different technology which, afaik, is still available in Windows Server 2019.

However, USB redirection should be used only as a last-resort redirection, when other more generic redirection mechanisms are available. The tests you have done include devices that are not typically eligible for USB redirection: Smart Card (there is 1-to-1 smart card redirection protocol), Android Smartphone (can be redirected as a PnP device), OIP-USB-Headset (can be redirected using microphone and speaker protocols, needs special settings to redirect using RemoteFX USB).

You can check the original information provided by Microsoft for RemoteFX USB redirection. A good chunk of it still applies to Windows Server 2019. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...t-RemoteFX-USB-Redirection-Part-3/ba-p/247085

5. ParallelsU320

Thanks for your replies.
    According to https://kb.parallels.com/en/124488, I can enable Smart Cards redirection through turning on the Policy setting of "Smart Cards".
    All policies for "Disk drives" and "Devices" are turned on, also "File transfer" ist on. But Smart Card, or Android Smartphone via USB, for example , to transfer fotos, for USB-Scann, VOIP-USB-Headset, do still not work.
    In order to let Redirection work, except turning on the policies in Parallels RAS, what else should I configure? Or should I use some other redirection mechanisms, which are also configurable in Parallels/Windows Server 2019/Windows 10 Client?

Attached Files:

6. jpc

jpc Pro

I would suggest to first test the parallels client directly without any policies -- ensure the settings are enabled as you want them to before connecting.

Now:
    • USB Scanner: Parallels RAS supports TWAIN and WIA scanner redirection via the RAS Universal Scanning functionality
      • On the server: Ensure that the functionality is enabled from server-side via the RAS Console. You will also need the "Desktop Experience Pack" installed on the server. More info: https://kb.parallels.com/en/123646.
      • On the client: Ensure that the functionality is also enabled from the client side (Scanners tab) and that the device is listed there.
    • Smart card: I believe this will require having the smart card drivers installed on the server too, because the redirection is 1-to-1
    • AIO Headset: Unless there is some specific functionality in the AIO headset that is required in the remote session (like some extra buttons), I suggest to not use USB redirection.
      • In this case,
        • Set the AIO headset as the default audio device (input and output) on the client computer
        • Ensure that "Local Resources > Remote Audio > Settings" are set to "Bring to this computer" and the "Enable recording" checkbox is ticked
        • Also ensure that on the server, the "Windows Audio" service is enabled and set to automatic.
      • If on the other hand you must redirect it via USB, you need to:
        • On the server: Enable RemoteFX USB and PnP redirection via GPO: Disable the "Do not allow supported Plug and Play device redirection" policy. Ref: https://getadmx.com/?Category=Windo...rosoft.Policies.TerminalServer::TS_CLIENT_PNP, https://kb.parallels.com/en/124784
        • On the server: (if the devices requires some special driver) Ensure that the driver is installed on the server and the the device would work if attached directly to the server. RemoteFX USB redirection, like smart cards, is a 1-to-1 redirection.
        • On the client: Enable the USB redirection GPO (https://kb.parallels.com/de/123961). This requires a gpupdate /force from an elevated prompt and a reboot.
        • On the client: Select Local "Resources > Remote Audio > Settings > Leave at remote computer" (speaker / mic redirection will be disabled for the session)
        • On the client: Ensure that you can see the device listed in the "Local Resources > Devices > Configure" dialog. If it is not there, you will have to specifically white list the device using its full ID.
    • Android smart phone: This can be redirected using PnP or MTP protocols. From the phone itself ensure that the phone is using one of these connection modes. You will need to enable PnP redirection on the server and check that the device is shown in the Parallels Client' devices configuration dialog. To redirect as a USB device instead of a PnP device, the client-side GPO for USB redirection may be required (obviously the audio setting applies only the AIO).
    As I mentioned earlier, RemoteFX USB redirection should be used as a last resort approach when redirecting a device because only one PC at a time can use such devices. This means that while a device is redirected via RemoteFX USB, no other PC (remote or local) will have access to it, reducing U.

7. JoyeT

JoyeT Bit poster

For RemoteFX, you will need third-party software to access USB. Try to test the USB Network Gate, maybe this option will be working for you.

8. jpc

jpc Pro

@JoyeT RemoteFX USB redirection is an RDP technology. You do not need 3rd party software to access USB, just the drivers installed on the server and a compatible client.