Use 2 different Network Authentication Methods for the Mac and Windows VM

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by DanETS, Dec 14, 2011.

1. DanETS

DanETS Bit poster

I am trying to use PEAP Authentication on Wireless on my MacBook Air. I want my Windows VM with 802.1x Certificates to Authenticate using EAP TLS. It appears that the shared WiFi card will only present a single MAC Address to the network and will use the Authentication method of the Mac over the Authentication method of the Windows VM. Group Policy locks down the configuration on the Windows VM so it is configured correctly to use EAP TLS. The only work around I have found so far is to use the WiFi card for my Mac and a wired USB for the VM. So at this point it looks like I need to physical cards to get two authentication types to work. It is also not a viable workaround. I cannot validate that I can present dual auth scenarios on wired quite yet. We are working on that.

2. DanETS

DanETS Bit poster

Further Research

Based on further research I believe this is most likely a limitation of the Wireless Cards/Drivers currently available. A single hard wired Ethernet connection to the Mac does allow the host machine and VM to authenticate differently on the network. This was confirmed by turning off the wireless card and using a single Ethernet connection to the network. I do not believe that this is a limitation of the Virtualization software, but Virtual Software vendors will have to be prepared to support a configuration like this assuming Wireless makes advancements to support it on the physical side. This is currently an easy way around security policies put on the corporate wireless network. I also believe this is going to be a critical requirement if wireless continues to push their technology into the Data Center. A Data Center Manager will not want to allow a physical machine running various guest hosts to mask the activities behind it.