USe Boot Camp or Not Opinions?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fireguy, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

I am going to do a fresh install on a new MacBook Pro. I am using the latest Parallels Beta Build successfully on a MacPro Desktop. Occasionally, there is a windows program that Parallels does not like.

So IF I install Bootcamp for occasional use, and have Parallels access that drive, is there a performance hit to everyday Parallels use? One rep at an Apple store said it might be slower...

IF I go with Bootcamp, what is the best install method to also use Parallels?
    1. Boot Camp with all windows XP and app's installed, then install and point Parallels,
    or 2. Is there a better install sequence?

Any opinions from Boot Camp users and or Parallels team is appreciated!

I have enjoyed Parallels from the beginning, it is a great product, but I am leaving my legacy Wintel laptop behind forever, so I am leaning towards a Bootcamp partition on the laptop...

Thanks!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If you need 3D Graphics, use BootCamp, for just about everything else, use a standard VM.

There isn't 'THAT' much of a preformance hit. I used to use BC as a stability fall-back, but it seems that it just introduces ANOTHER element to manage, and thus more of a headache. Parallels has gotten very stable, running non-fully supported things do NOT count against its stability, *cough*Leopard*cough*.

Install BootCamp, then install Parallels. When you install the apps doesn't matter much.