Use of 3 video cards?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation Extreme Discussion' started by kellydavid, May 18, 2010.

1. kellydavid

kellydavid Bit poster

I have a technical query about Parallels Workstation 4.0 Extreme... suppose I have a server platform which has a suitable Intel hardware configuration (e.g. 2 x Intel 5500 or 5600 CPUs and 5520 chipset), and it has an onboard server class (dumb) video chip/port (e.g. Matrox G200e), plus it has 2 x Nvidia Quadro FX4800 graphics cards each in a separate PCIe x16 slot. Can I install Parallels Workstation 4.0 Extreme on such a server and use the onboard video to drive the servers standard video display for the Workstation host operating system/hypervisor (i.e. Windows or Linux), and then create two virtual machines running Windows 7, with each virtual machine having full access to one of the two FX4800 graphics cards?

In other words, Id like to use the onboard dumb server video port to drive the host hypervisors display, and then assign one Nvidia Quadro FX4800 card to be used by a virtual machine running Windows 7, and the remaining FX4800 to be used by a second, separate virtual machine running another copy of Windows 7.

Is this is possible?

Thanks and regards,

David

2. Pierre-Luc B

Pierre-Luc B Junior Member

dumb video card on host

it should work, i have been able to make this kind of set up work with a crappy card on an X4 connector

3. orenouard

orenouard Bit poster

Hi,

I'v been able to make a Windows 7 host work (with standard VGA driver) and pass a Quadro (4000) to a VM (CentOS). So it should theorically work.

Note that with the host using a Geforce card, for some reason it would not work (host freezing on VM start) if I installed the Geforce drivers on host. It would with standard VGA drivers on host but that's all.

4. O.Renouard

O.Renouard Bit poster

No clue. Note that the opposite works well (CentOS host with Geforce and Win7 VM using dedicated Quadro 4000)

5. ParasB

ParasB Bit poster

Hey kelly david , i think as you explain it must work i am not getting why it is not working

6. Rupals

Rupals Bit poster

hi.........
    Most video cards offer various functions such as accelerated rendering of 3D scenes and 2D ... 1.6.3 Video In Video Out (VIVO) for S-Video, Composite video and Component video .... In some rare cases high end CRT monitors also use DVI.
    [​IMG]
    3dyantram.info/rendering_india.