Use the same USB port and hub for devices

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by LeonardoP2, Jun 7, 2022.

1. LeonardoP2

LeonardoP2 Bit poster

I work with embedded devices, and a problem I had is that sometimes when a USB device reconnects it appears as connected to a different USB port. In our application, we use the physical USB hub and port numbers to identify a particular device, which are not supposed to change since they're tied to the hardware, but every now and then these numbers seem to change and we need to remap our device to the right physical port.
    It would be nice if you could capture this information from the underlying hardware so it's consistent. I know it's kind of a niche use case, but many times it prevented me from doing proper testing, or had to ask people with Windows laptops to test it for me.

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Leonardo,
    Thank you for submitting this. We've made improvements to this scenario in version 15 so devices are reconnected to the same virtual USB ports in Windows, when possible. The information is stored in the config.pvs file inside the virtual machine package, section UsbConnectHistory. If you can send us Technical Report ID (using Help> Send Technical Data... shortly after the issue), it might help to pinpoint the issue. Otherwise, we will try some USB hubs in our lab.

3. LeonardoP2

LeonardoP2 Bit poster

Ah that's good to know. I will keep an eye open when I work with multiple devices again. I forgot to mention that usually these devices are connected to a fixture with n slots, so you have n devices with the same VID/PID. Just mentioning it in case it's relevant.
    Thanks!