Using Acronis image (from a PC) to build Parallels VM on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SteveA7, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SteveA7

SteveA7 Bit poster

I've got a Windows Server 2016 disk image that's been made using Acronis on a Windows PC.
    I'm trying to create a new VM in Parallels on my Mac and not having much luck.
    Perhaps you can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

When creating a new VM in Parallels, if I select the image and select Windows Server 2016 as the system it boots to this screen (see below) but no input works. Trying to use the arrow or number keys results in nothing. I've also trying booting while not moving the mouse to ensure the keyboards loads but to no avail. (cont below)
    [​IMG]
    If I choose "Other" as an operating system while setting up the new VM and boot the image I get this screen (see below). However;
    • Selecting the 32bit Restore results in a black screen.
    • Selecting the 64bit Restore results in a kernel panic : "not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(1,0)"
    • Selecting "Acronis True Image" results in black screen
    • Selecting "Acronis True Image (64-bit)" results in black screen
    • Selecting "Continue OS booting" results in "Unable to reload operating system"
    (cont below)

[​IMG]
    Is what I'd like to do possible?
    If so, what am I doing wrong?
    What is the right way of restoring a Acronis image to a Parallels VM?

I'm running Parallels Pro Version 14.1.0 (45387) on a Macbook Pro using macOS Mojave 10.14.1.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Hi SteveA7. Please be informed that Windows Server 2016 is not supported as a guest OS in Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac. Please refer this article to know the list of supported guest OS in Parallels Desktop for Mac.

3. AlainF2

AlainF2 Bit poster

Hello,

I would like to take a Windows 10 Acronis Image in Parallels, Is that possible to do that?

4. please check this Kb article for more info and let us know if it's not that case.