Using Epson R380 Printer from Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sagaces, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

I'm running version 3 of Parallels Desktop on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.10. I've tried making Vista aware of my Epson R380 printer both directly as a network printer and via Bonjour. Neither method has succeeded. I've installed the Epson R380 drivers in Windows from the Epson CD. The printer works just fine when accessed outside of Parallels Desktop. Any suggestions or such will be most appreciated.

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello Sagaces

1.Stop your Windows VM if it's running.
    2.Open VM Configuration Editor (Parallels Desktop menu - Edit - Virtual Machine)
    3.Add Parallel Port Printer to the VM Configuration: click "Add" - select "Parallel Port", hit Next - select "Use a printer" - select the printer you have available in the Mac OS.
    4.Make sure that you are able to print using that printer from the Mac OS side.
    5.Start Windows and try printing some document using "HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS" (it's generic driver that's being used for printing from the Virtual Machine to any Mac OS compatible printer).

3. William E. Jones

William E. Jones Bit poster

What about in inkjet printer?

I'm trying to connect a Canon i350 printer to my Mac Mini running Parallels and Vista (BIG mistake to buy Vista instead of XP!). I did all the above setup, and tried to print. The HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS reports that it's "Printing", but nothing prints. Then I cannot delete the unprinted file from the LaserJet queue. The i350 prints just fine from the Mac Mini. What am I missing?

4. Sagaces

Sagaces Junior Member

Today I downloaded, from the Apple website, an update to Bonjour for Windows. I installed it in my Vista virtual machine and now I can print just fine onto my Epson R380 printer. Why previous attempts resulted in failure will remain a mystery!