Using function keys in Windows VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Consonanza., Jan 16, 2024.

1. Consonanza.

Consonanza. Junior Member

When on the Mac side. I like to use the function keys with the features assigned by Apple Keyboard (as media buttons, screen brightness, sound etc) but when using the Windows VM I prefer to use them as standard function keys where they often have different application specific uses. Now I know I can switch between the two uses within MacOS settings but that is a pain when I am often switching back and forth between MacOs and Windows.
    Is there any way I can configure the function keys to work differently in the way I have described above when in Windows?

2. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

Not sure which Mac keyboard you're using but the one with a number pad has a Fn key between the keyboard and the number pad.

3. Consonanza.

Thanks for replying. Yes I saw that key (exactly where you said). It acts as a modifier key and can be used in the Mac settings to mimic certain other commands eg Caps Lock, Option, Command, Escape, Function and No Action. I can't see any way to get it to do what I want in this case.

4. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

If I remember correctly (iffy at best :) ). you can do key re-mapping in the Parallels setup if using the Fn key alone doesn't give you what you need.

5. Consonanza.

Thanks. I'm no expert on Parallels configuration or on its key-remapping features so I'm gonna take this up with Parallels themselves - after all I am paying for that service.