Using one version of windows 10 (on external ssd) on more Macs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JesperK, Jun 7, 2018.

1. JesperK

JesperK Bit poster

I have 2 Macs (MacBook Pro and Mac Mini) and would use one windows 10 vm for both Macs. The windows 10 VM is installed on a external ssd so i hope its easily to switch between the 2 Macs. I also need a new license for my Mac mini. But before I will buy a new license. I would like to know if it's possible to use (for private use) an installed version of windows 10 (on an external ssd) on two or more Macs?

2. jamesmehraa

jamesmehraa Bit poster

Windows 10 FPP licenses can be used in type 2 hypervisor scenarios (i.e. client Hyper-V, Boot Camp, Parallels, etc.) on the device. Only the primary user may remotely access Windows running locally on the device, and FPP licensing does not provide the license rights to access Windows remotely from a server.
    To switch from ios to mac to window you'll need bootcamp. Bootcamp will however allow you to boot up as a Windows computer without showing the Mac interface. But you have to choose each time - Mac or Win - it won't load both.Technically you would be able to use windows 10 on two or more Macs.

3. Michael@Parallels

Michael@Parallels Parallels Support

If you are not going to copy this VM on both Macs, then there's no need to use 2 Windows licenses. If you're gonna plug the external drive with the VM to one Mac, work in it, shutdown Windows, eject and plug this drive into another Mac so that the same copy of Windows it not gonna work on two Macs simultaneously, then it's technically one and the same copy of Windows which needs only one license. Like Windows installed on a laptop that you can move here and there, but that still remains the same, no matter on which desk does it stay.
    So, answering your question, yes, Windows VM on an external hard drive can be used with two or more macs, in case it is one and the same VM running simultaneously only with one Mac; not several VM copies spread among all your Macs.
    If you need to have a separate Windows VM on each Mac you need a separate Windows license, one for each.