Using Parallels 17 on High Sierra (MBP late 2011): security issues?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by GregoryG6, Aug 14, 2023.

1. GregoryG6

GregoryG6 Bit poster

Hi everyone,

after almost 12 years, it's time to say goodbye to my Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13". I'm stuck with HighSierra (10.13) and not even Chrome or BraveBrowser release upgrades for 10.13 anymore. As far as I know, it's not a good idea to use and old OS but it's an even a worse idea to browse the internet with an outdated browser.

However, technically the Macbook Pro 2011 is in perfect condition and still works flawlessly (after upgrading to 16GB RAM and 512 SSD a few years ago). Therefore I'm looking for solutions, without havnig to spend over $1499 for a new Macbook Pro

My current plan would be to install Parallels Desktop 17 and run Windows. Windows will do the job just fine, because I have to concentrate on my master thesis for the next 6 to 12 months and won't need anything else except Microsoft Office and an internet browser. I am aiming for Parallels Desktop 17, because it's the last version, which is compatible with High Sierra, according to the official website of PD.

**My question**: are there any security issues when running PD 17 on an outdated High Sierra? Or are there any other issues, which I should be aware of?

My reddit and google searches couldn't help me find an exact answer so far.

Thanks.

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello,
    The macOS High Sierra should be compatible with Parallels Desktop 17.
    However, it is worth noting that using an outdated version of macOS, Parallels Desktop or even your Mac System may not be fully optimized.
    Regarding the security issues, as macOS High Sierra no longer receives any updates from Apple, there is a minimum risk. Not receiving latest patches, bug fixes or security updates, there may be some vulnerabilities.
    However, in terms of Parallels Desktop, the version 17 should work without any issue.
    Regards,

3. GregoryG6

GregoryG6 Bit poster

Thank you very much for the answer.
    Do the vulnerabilities regarding an old macOS could have any impact on the security of Parallels or is Parallels technically an isolated system regardless of the macOS version?
    Kind regards