Using Parallels on my M1 Mac, guest OSX VM's = no internet access

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by RodgerB1, Mar 21, 2022.

1. PierreB9

PierreB9 Bit poster

Thanks a lot. I did a new installation and could connect in the proper way. Now I am disappointed to see that NDI tools and NDI in general seems to have a problem. I will make a dedicated post in a different thread. Just wanted to thank you ones again for your reply.

Attached Files:

2. RodgerB1

RodgerB1 Junior Member

Are you referring to NDI tools fro mNewtek?

PierreB9 likes this.
  3. PierreB9

PierreB9 Bit poster

None of the NDI system works. Wether Vmix, Newtek, Sienna etc..

4. Sharjeela

Sharjeela Bit poster

The best I could do is set my networking to type II, and if I'm going to a hotel where I can't do bridged, I need to bring another MbPro intel-based machine with me and pay for an additional parallels licence just so I can share my VMs on demos I need to give. It's obvious that I have a more in-depth understanding of the product on M1s than support does. The alternative would be to completely erase my M1 and start over, Top20 plus but even if I could do that using a time machine backup and restore, I do not have the time.

PierreB9 likes this.
  5. PierreB9

PierreB9 Bit poster

hello, still no solution to get NDI Tools working on Parallels M1 ? it is strange.... Any other thread to observe ? Thanks RodjerB1 and Sharjeela.

6. JamesS66

JamesS66 Bit poster

WOW. Couldn't bother to create a setting button for MacOS even on the PRO version? Instead I have to edit a text file? Ridiculous! o_O

7. MarkW61

MarkW61 Bit poster

Regards for sharing this. I just given up trying, and I totally agree.

The best I could do is set my networking to type II, and if I'm going to a hotel where I can't do bridged, I need to bring another MbPro intel-based machine with me and pay for an additional parallels licence just so I can share my VMs on demos I need to give. It's obvious that I have a more in-depth understanding of the product on M1s than support does. The alternative would be to completely erase my M1 and start over, but even if I could do so using a time machine backup and restore, I do not have the time.

If I had the choice, I would have

8. MarkW61

MarkW61 Bit poster

I appreciate you sharing this. I have given up trying; I completely agree.

The best I could do is set my networking to type II, and if I'm going to a hotel where I can't do Bridged, I need to bring another MbPro intel-based machine with me and pay for an additional parallels licence just so I can share my VMs on demos I need to give. Clearly, I have a more direct understanding of the product on M1s than support does, so that's why I have to bring more MbPro machines than they do.

9. RodgerB1

RodgerB1 Junior Member

You feel my pain! Still surprisingly zero movement on this. I mean, its only a matter of time before all mac's are running Apple Silicon, will parallels just close it's doors at that point in time?

10. RodgerB1

RodgerB1 Junior Member

i wish it was!
    On an M1 there is no config you can edit. No right click menu, no snapshots. The only thing is to manually create a Cofig.ini and you can manually add a few small setting changes. but thats it. :(

11. AlisterA

AlisterA Bit poster

If only people paid for this knowledge, if you have a VPN them MacOS VM it will not connect to the internet, you either need to disable the host VPN or you need to set the config.ini below to shared and reinstall the vpn software in the VM, it's always nice to beta test live released products!

[Hardware]
    Network.Type=2

12. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings everyone,
    We are sorry for the delayed response.
    To let us determine the issue, kindly provide us with your scenario, reproduce the issue and collect technical report as per this article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/9058
    Then copy 9-digit ID of the report and provide it in a reply message.
    We are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

13. PierreB9

PierreB9 Bit poster

I try to use NDI tools from Newteck in Windows version (because the mac version is not complete)
    https://ndi.tv/tools/#download-tools
    It is said :
    "This program can only be installed on version of Windows designed for following architecture : x64"

here is the report ID : 422459084

THANKS !!! i am very limited in my use of windows on parallels because i work a lot with NDI. I had to buy a PC to continue to explore. I really hope we will find the sollution. NDI is in high évolution and it would be a big limitation that Parallels remains unable to handle NDI tools.

14. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for the provided data.

Judging by the error, the application does not support the Arm architecture.

The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors). And in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Window 11 ARM--the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X). And indeed, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications, or drivers do not work.

We advise you to contact the NDI support team to inquire about when support for Windows 11 ARM will be implemented.

15. danielg47

danielg47 Bit poster

I figured out how to get this to work. Seems that the guest macOS VM sets to using a DHCP. If you change it to be on the bridge network created by parallels on the host it works. So here are the steps:

1) on host machine, determine the bridge10x network that the macOS is attached to. Run ifconfig from the terminal. Mine was bridge101 (my bridge100 corresponds to my windows VM, there is probably a prlctl command that will tell you what is what):
    bridge101: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
    2) copy 10.37.129.2 (your's may be different)
    3) in the macOS VM, open settings->network->ethernet click details, click TCP/IP. Change configure IPv4 to Manual. Change IP address to 10.37.129.3 (add 1 to the number above). Set the router to 10.37.129.2.

Note: Do not update the config.ini with Network.Type=2 as suggested above for this solution. Your network should be set to shared for this to work correctly.

-gigs

16. DaneD

DaneD

^^^^

this fixed my issue, which was rather strange. I've been using 6 Windows and 2 OS VMs for over a month with no issues. Then suddenly, after my host was reboot, the macOS VMs stopped connecting to the host network. Changing the IPV4 config to manual and the IP set to 1 above the bridged address worked...for now. But at least I can get back to work.

17. DaneD

DaneD

Also, the router has to be configured to the bridge address