Using printer in virtual mode

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by rmargolis, Jan 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rmargolis

rmargolis Bit poster

I can see my printer and it is "ready" but I cannot print with it. I have checked the connections, rebooted, turned the printer off and on again and it won't print. When I look at the configuration for the USB port, the printer is there and it is enabled and connected. However the enabled box is greyed out.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is Parallels Desktop version?
    What USB port configuration you are looking in?

3. WooferWalker

WooferWalker Bit poster

I may have an interim solution for you. Until an hour ago, Desktop 4.0 (Windows XP) did not "see" any USB device that was assigned to it (new device - MAC or virtual machine). The device would seem to be assigned to the VM but Windows XP didn't acknowledge the connection. I stumbled on the procedure to go to Control Panel, Add Hardware. As soon as the wizard searches for all connected devices, Windows "magically" recognizes the USB device and it begins to work correctly. Disconnecting the device using the usual procedure seems to work OK. I haven't yet tried to re-connect the USB device. The procedure described above has worked for a thumbnail drive and a printer.

Mike

4. C6400

C6400 Bit poster

OK I am a new comer but my son has been using Mac's for the past 2 years, and he has been guiding me through other issues. I have been having the same issue with my system also and in my reserch I have found that Paralle is having an issue with XP with SSP3. It seems you will be able to print fine when in Mac side but when you go to the windows side through Paralle you are not able to print. I can see the printer start the process but it will cancel the printing and set in spoll until it is deleted. Have you serach any on this and found anything else to help fix this issue??

5. rmargolis

rmargolis Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. I now can use the printer in the Mac mode but still not in virtual mode.

6. John@Parallels

I can only repeat my question
    What is Parallels Desktop version?
    What USB port configuration you are looking in?

7. WooferWalker

WooferWalker Bit poster

I don't think you posing the question to me but ...
    I'm running Mac OS 10.5.6 with Windows XP Home SP3 running in Desktop 4.0.3540.

8. John@Parallels

We have 2 ways to connect printer to Virtual machine
    1. Using Parallel Port
    ===
    You can share any printer connected to you Mac with your Windows or Linux virtual machine. The printer will be available through the virtual machine's parallel port.

To share your Mac's printer:

Launch Parallels Desktop and open the virtual machine.
    Open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog by choosing Configure from the Virtual Machine menu. Make sure that the configuration includes a parallel port. If necessary, add it. See Adding a Parallel Port.
    In the Parallel Port pane, make sure that the Enabled option is selected. Select Connected, if you want the printer to be automatically connected on the virtual machine startup.
    Select the Printer option. You can choose a specific printer from the printers list or use the Default printer option if you want to use the default printer set in Mac OS X.
    Click OK to close Virtual Machine Configuration.
    Start the virtual machine.
    In a Windows guest OS, if you have Parallels Tools installed, the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer is automatically connected to your virtual machine and you can use it at once. In a Linux guest OS or if you do not have Parallels Tools installed in your Windows guest OS, no matter what type of printer you have, install either the HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS, or Apple Color LW 12/660 PS printer driver and then follow the procedure of adding a printer in a guest OS described bellow.
    Warning: Do not install the driver from the installation CD, supplied with your printer, in the virtual machine.

Adding a printer in a Windows guest operating systems
    To add a printer in a Windows guest OS:

Start the Windows virtual machine and log in as administrator.
    Open the Windows Start menu, select Control Panel.
    In the Control Panel window, select the Printers and Faxes (or Printers, or Printers and Other Hardware) item.
    Open the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows XP click the Add a printer link.
    In Windows 95 /98 /NT /ME /2000 /2003 double-click the Add printer icon.
    In the Add Printer wizard:
    In Windows Vista:
    - click Add a local printer,
    - select Use an existing port and click Next.
    In Windows 2000 /XP /2003:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - in the Local or Network Printer dialog, click Local printer attached to this computer.
    In Windows 98/ME:
    - click Next in the wizard's first dialog,
    - for the How is this printer attached to your computer? select the Local printer option.
    In Windows 95/NT:
    - click Local printer.
    ===
    2. Using USB
    ---
    Setting Up a USB Printer

To set up a USB printer:

Launch Parallels Desktop and choose the virtual machine.
    Open the Virtual Machine Configuration dialog by choosing Configure from the Virtual Machine menu. Make sure that the configuration includes a USB controller. If necessary, add it. See the Adding a USB Controller section.
    Open the USB Settings pane and make sure that the Enabled option is selected. Select the Connected if you want the printer to be automatically captured by the virtual machine. Click OK.
    Start the virtual machine.
    Plug in the USB printer as a USB device. See the Connecting USB Devices to a Virtual Machine section.
    Install the native driver for the printer in the guest OS.

===
    Could you please clarify, how is yours connected

9. C6400

C6400 Bit poster

Well after following your step by step instruction I am able to print in both Mac and Window now. I did find out after calling my son in to give me a hand and chek to see if I was following direction correctly. We both did not understand how the driver for the laserjet allowed my EBSON printer to work. Great thing I can print agian, and I am able to do use the Parallel software for what I needed it for. Thanks for your professional trouble shooting with me.. JOB WELL DONE