Using Windows with Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KenoliO, Apr 13, 2023.

1. KenoliO

KenoliO Bit poster

I am pretty much in the Mac World and very ignorant about Windows. But...I am also an amateur radio operator and there is some amateur radio software that only runs on Windows. I am trying to figure out if it is more expensive to use Parallels on my mac or simply buy a cheap Windows machine.

I can see that it is not expensive to buy a copy of Windows to install on Parallels. But...it appears it is not possible to do everything with it without paying more than the cost of Parallels to get a Windows license.

However, it has been hard to find out what I can do with it without a license. Can I run software like these amateur radio software. Can I get access to the USB and other ports for connecting to amateur radio equipment?

What is the deal? What are the limitations without the Microsoft Windows license?

I can buy an inexpensive Windows machine for a couple of hundred dollars. That is less than Parallels plus a Microsoft license. I"m not going to be using Windows for anything else other than Amateur radio software.

Would appreciate any help I can get on this matter.

I wish I could use an M based Mac, but we are also graphic designers and need a 27 inch screen so we have a souped up but intel based 27 inch imac. Buying the M based mac we would need plus monitor is out of our price range.

Will the intel processor be an issue?

--Kenoli

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As amateur radio operators who need to run Windows-only software, we suggest downloading and testing the free 14-day trial of Parallels Desktop 18 for Mac.
    This trial can be accessed via the following link: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/trial/
    If you have an Intel-based iMac, there should be no issues running Parallels Desktop and Windows software. Many other users with similar systems have successfully run Parallels and Windows applications.

If you encounter any problems during the trial period, please do not hesitate to contact Parallels Support to open a ticket to investigate the issue.

For more information on the differences between Windows 11 Home and Pro, we recommend referring to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare-windows-11-home-vs-pro-versions

Thank you.

3. KenoliO

KenoliO Bit poster

My question actually was whether I would have to spend the $100+ Microsaoft license fee to run Windows software under Parallels. It was not about trial periods or the cost of Parallels.

What I have learned is that I can buy a copy of Windows and run it under Parallels but for certain Windows functions I will have to buy the windows license. Microsoft is not at all clear about what I can and cannot do under Windows without the license.

--Kenoli

4. Adeboye Adeotan

Adeboye Adeotan Staff Member

Hello KenoliO,

When it comes to functionality, you might experience restrictions with personalizing the desktop background, window title bar, taskbar, and Start color, changing the theme, customizing Start, taskbar, and lock screen, etc.. when not activating Windows.

Additionally, you might periodically get messages asking to activate your copy of Windows.

We would recommend you register and install the free 14-day trial version of Parallels Desktop as advised by my colleague above to test any additional functionality or restrictions you might be concerned about.