Utility to fix "missing or corrupted HAL.DLL" in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by flipdoubt, Jul 29, 2007.

1. knight2k

knight2k Bit poster

I'm not sure if this issue is still being worked on or not, but I fixed it in a few minutes. If there is still need for a fix I can show you how to easily correct this in a few minutes with minimal effort.

2. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Sure, I would love to read a foolproof fix. Be sure to say what version of Parallels, OS X, and Windows your using. Personally, I'm looking for a foolproof fix for Vista.

3. knight2k

knight2k Bit poster

Ok, Parallels v3.0 5582, Windows XP, OSX 10.5

Let me preface this with this might be unique to me, but this is what I noticed and did.

First I am a new MacOS user having used Windows for years. I am also a Windows Admin so will do things in the OS that many might not. That said, this is what I noticed.

Like some have mentioned I saw a Parallels Configuration Option during the boot just prior to getting the HAL.dll error. There was also a Windows option below that but since the screen only pops up for a second it is hard to hit it. I was able to, but it is very difficult to do so but bootcamp loaded properly when I was able to get it.

I then, from the PD VM, edited the C:\boot.ini to increase the delay to 15 from 1 so I could easily chose the correct config when booting. No issues since. I pick Parallels when starting the VM from OSX and the Windows config when going into bootcamp. I also adjusted the default, but unless you know what you are doing I would suggest you leave that alone as you can make both configurations unbootable if you make a mistake. I altered the default line to match the bootcamp install line in the options so that even if I did nothing it would autoboot bootcamp.

The point of editing it from the VM was that it appeared that PD was touching the file and if so I wanted the saved version to be from the VM and it seemed to work.

And here is where it gets strange...I did this prior to seeing the "If you are running Leopard download this version" in the support area. Since I installed the 5582 update it "appears" that PD is now altering the boot.ini back and forth from my edited version. The bootcamp version now contains no Parallels entry (and boots directly into Windows with no errors or pause), only the bootcamp entry, and the PD version contains my edited version and displays the bootmenu with both entries.

If your PD install works and your Bootcamp version does not, check the boot.ini in your PD VM and adjust it accordingly. It does appear that they have addressed this in the new version tho.

4. jensik

jensik Bit poster

I also had this problem a couple of times
    Solved it once by editing boot.ini (hidden file in c: root)
    It should look like this if you did a normal XP install with Bootcamp:

[boot loader]
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Then you should be able to boot into xp normally (it might not work properly with Paralells thought). If it still isn't working with Parallels try to delete your Bootcamp profile in Paralells and create a new one. That solved the problem for me.

Once I did the exact same things but it didn't work for me (I guess something else did happend to my XP), I even did copy hal.dll from the XP install cd and from another xp, but it still didn't work (this happened with the 5580 beta). I tried several other things (including those in this thread), but had to remove and reinstall my XP from scratch.

/Jens

5. gogoshire

gogoshire Bit poster

Hi, I'm a new Bootcamp/Parallels user, and a very unhappy one at that.

I was having no problem running Windows on Bootcamp - it worked great, but I was emailing back and forth with Parallels tech trying to get Parallels to see my Bootcamp partition so I could get Windows from the Mac side.

They had me download build 5582. I did, and I was able to get Parallels working, but not working well. It takes forever to load, and despite the large memory allocation I've allotted it, it's so slow that it's not worth using.

Also, I use a Windows-only voice recognition software for work, and unfortunately forrun it me, Mac won't recognize the mic that came with it, so it turns out I can only use it on the Bootcamp side. However, now that Parallels "works", I'm getting the hal.dll error when I boot into BootCamp. I've read through this thread, and most of it is beyond my comprehension. I'm not a Windows person or very techy at all, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if I just uninstall Parallels (I could probably figure out how to do that), will Bootcamp boot into Windows normally? Or is it just ruined now? I'm traveling for 2 months and I didn't bring my XP disks with me, and I'm really kicking myself.

Thanks for your help.

6. jensik

jensik Bit poster

Have you tried to do those things that I wrote? I think that could fix your problem.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

The utility restoring the hal.dll (making it back the same as it was before starting VM) is launched by Clear button in Configuration Editor -> Hard Disk -> Advanced.

The hal.dll error is caused by improper Windows shut down. As Parallels did not finish the work correctly, the processes going on between Windows and Parallels were not completed as they should have been. So BootCamp can not address to Windows correctly any more.

Being aware of the technological complexity of BootCamp - Parallels interaction, please finish your work in the Virtual Machine properly.

Anyway, if you get the issue by accident, you can use the Clear button mentioned above or try repairing Windows installation.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  8. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

9. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

i have the same missing hal.dll problem with XP, parallels and bootcamp.
    bootcamp gives the error and lists almost 8 parallels configurations and then a windows XP configuration. i have tried arrowing down to each of them but all fail.

what can i do to start up boot camp now?

cheers

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In Parallels Clear button in Configuration Editor -> Hard Disk -> Advanced

Then try to boot in Boot Camp, if Error is still over there you need to perform Windows repair as described in
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138

11. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

still doesnt work

i first tried to clear from parallels settings - bootcamp still does not boot.
    next i tried to repair windows as mentioned and then surprise, windows wants me to re-register and activate. so i had to reactivate it.

but bootcamp still gives me the same missing hal.dll error.

i still have the list of 9 parallels configurations and one windows xp configuration while booting.

;(

12. John@Parallels

How did you perform Windows repair ?
    From Parallels or from Boot Camp?

13. srini15574

srini15574 Junior Member

sharedintapp.exe

you were right. i did the repair by mistake on parallels.
    since im running out of time, now, i had to remove bootcamp and then reinstall parallels using an image from scratch.

now i find that there is this application called sharedintapp.exe which keeps blocking my processes.

any help on this?

14. John@Parallels

Disable Sharing Applications from
    Configuration Editor-Configuration-Shared Applications
    Strange - but this should not

15. bikkuri

bikkuri Bit poster

I couldn't find the answer to my problem via the search engine, so I post it here, since it is directly related.
    I followed the steps to configure the VM to boot from the XP startup disc, since my hal.dll is broken, however, there's an error message saying "boot from CD failed'.
    How can I solve this problem.
    I got a MacBookPro (early06) running OS X 10.5 and Windows XP SP3 in Bootcamp.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!