V6 Network Printing woes with new HP P2055dn Printer

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by jpoprock, Nov 3, 2011.

1. jpoprock

jpoprock Bit poster

Hey guys. I work in an office, and I'm the "primary agent". If I can't print, nothing gets done. I've spent the past two days messing with a printer that would jam all the time only to discover a piece had broken inside. So I got a new printer that came highly suggested from a trusted Printer guru. But I spent a day trying to get it to print as a network printer, and I'm at my wits end. With everything else in my life, plus being backed up at work and totally lost on what to do about this, I'm literally on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I've never had a problem using any printer connected via USB, but I've never been able to get any of my printers to work as a Network printer on the Windows side. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and OS X 10.6.8. I just bought this new HP P2055dn (which is network ready, just not wireless by default).

On the Mac side, it shows up perfectly via Bonjour and will print fine. The drivers for it are included in Snow Leo it said. But on the Windows side, adding the printer as a network device yields no luck. It can't find my printer, nor does it connect to internal IP of the built in HP Printsever (unike OS X which found it no problem).

I'm wondering if my problem has something to do with how my Network is setup in Parallels Preferences? I'm using Shared Networking, which I believe assigns Windows it's own internal IP. I don't have a reason for doing this, so I'm not opposed to changing it.

In my router, the DHCP table lists all the machines connected, including my Mac, but it doesn't show the windows machine. I think it's because i've chosen "shared" right? Therefore my PC won't ever get an internal IP from router. Instead windows has it's own internal IP of 10.X.X.X or something like that. So it's confusing! I do know that I can't connect to my Windows machine from another location because I don't know the IP number. I have to connect to my Mac, then access Parallels through that.

Before this printer, I would print via USB. My Printer would show up as a connected USB device in Parallels and I could print just fine. But if I wanted to print anything from the Mac side, I'd have to disconnect it in Windows from the device list, which was a pain. Whether USB or network, I want to be able to print to my printer from either host without having to select/deselect anything. That's why I thought going with a network printer was the ticket. It would be nice if others on the network could print to my machine if needed, but that's not my main goal.

Any advice on what the deal might be? There is one thing I need to check first when I get to my office... I turned off unneeded services and perhaps I turned off a service that has to do with network devices or printing. I didn't just randomly turn things off. I got the info from a site called Black Vipers Tweaked Services (Google that). It's legit. It is meant to turn off all the running services that the bloated Windows 7 runs all the time by default. It did help my machine run better, I'll say that much.

Btw.. I'm gonna look this over and try some suggestions and will report back:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...problems/49458c16-e99e-4af9-8cd9-40299af66f8e

Thanks!
    Jason

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011