Vagrant 1.6.5 and NFS problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Provider for Vagrant' started by Serguei_Moutovkin, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Serguei_Moutovkin

Serguei_Moutovkin Bit poster

I'm trying to configure file sharing via NFS (like my current configuration with VirtualBox).

Here is the relevant bit:

config.vm.define "trusty_parallels", primary: true do | trusty_parallels |
    trusty_parallels.vm.box = "parallels/ubuntu-14.04"

trusty_parallels.vm.network "private_network", type: "dhcp"
    trusty_parallels.vm.synced_folder ".", "/vagrant", type: "nfs"

trusty_parallels.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 5432, host: 5432
    trusty_parallels.vm.network :forwarded_port, guest: 5433, host: 5433
    trusty_parallels.vm.provision "shell", path: "vconf/trusty_provision.sh"
    end

When configuring environment Vagrant spits out the following message and stops:
    "No guest IP was given to the Vagrant core NFS helper. This is an
    internal error that should be reported as a bug."

Tried searching around but no clear reason what's going on.

Also, does Parallels recommend using Parallels own "shared folders" method (i.e. without specifying 'type: "nfs"'? Will it be faster?

Thanks

P.S. Considering that Parallels controls boxes on Vagrant cloud, why do the images have out of date Parallels Tools?

P.P.S. Full vagrant log is as follows:
    Bringing machine 'trusty_parallels' up with 'parallels' provider...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Importing base box 'parallels/ubuntu-14.04'...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Checking if box 'parallels/ubuntu-14.04' is up to date...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Setting the name of the VM: trusty_parallels_1413777886002_50686
    ==> trusty_parallels: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    trusty_parallels: Adapter 0: shared
    trusty_parallels: Adapter 1: hostonly
    ==> trusty_parallels: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Forwarding ports...
    trusty_parallels: 5432 => 5432
    trusty_parallels: 5433 => 5433
    ==> trusty_parallels: Running 'pre-boot' VM customizations...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Booting VM...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...
    trusty_parallels: SSH address: 10.211.55.16:22
    trusty_parallels: SSH username: vagrant
    trusty_parallels: SSH auth method: private key
    ==> trusty_parallels: Machine booted and ready!
    ==> trusty_parallels: Checking for Parallels Tools installed on the VM...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Parallels Tools installed on this VM are outdated! In most cases
    ==> trusty_parallels: this is fine but in rare cases it can cause things such as shared
    ==> trusty_parallels: folders to not work properly. If you see shared folder errors,
    ==> trusty_parallels: please update Parallels Tools within the virtual machine and
    ==> trusty_parallels: reload your VM.
    ==> trusty_parallels: Installing the proper version of Parallels Tools. This may take a few minutes...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Parallels Tools have been installed. Rebooting the VM...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Attempting graceful shutdown of VM...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Running 'pre-boot' VM customizations...
    ==> trusty_parallels: Booting VM...
    No guest IP was given to the Vagrant core NFS helper. This is an
    internal error that should be reported as a bug.==> trusty_parallels: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...
    trusty_parallels: SSH address: 10.211.55.16:22
    trusty_parallels: SSH username: vagrant
    trusty_parallels: SSH auth method: private key
    ==> trusty_parallels: Machine booted and ready!
    ==> trusty_parallels: Configuring and enabling network interfaces...
    No guest IP was given to the Vagrant core NFS helper. This is an
    internal error that should be reported as a bug.

2. Oh, sorry, this message looks really uninformative.
    Currently, prior to use NFS synced folders you have to configure "private_network" with any static IP instead of type: "dhcp", like this:
    Code:
    config.vm.network "private_network", ip: "192.168.50.4"
    or
    Code:
    config.vm.network "private_network", ip: "10.10.20.15"
    I'm working on this and soon this static IP will not be necessary. You can subscribe to this issue on GitHub: https://github.com/Parallels/vagrant-parallels/issues/152

Yes, we can recommend Parallels Shared Folders for most popular cases. It works much faster than VirtualBox Shared Folders but a little bit slower that NFS.
    But it is important to notice that prl_fs (Linux filesystem for Parallels Shared Folders) doesn't support changing ownership (chown command): https://github.com/Parallels/vagrant-parallels/issues/103#issuecomment-51479461
    So that, Parallels Shared Folders are good to access, for example, prepared web-site, but could fail during some compilation job or provisioning.

Hm... We have the last version of Parallels Tools installed in our base boxes. Could you please show the output of these commands?

3. Serguei_Moutovkin

Serguei_Moutovkin Bit poster

Does prl_fs work well with inotify? I'm developing using Play framework and would like to see on file change recompilation working, with VirtualBox and NFS frequently Play (via inotify) would not see files being changed. I will need to rebuild box and when I do I will run those commands.

4. Sorry, I couldn't get details about inotify in prl_fs. You can try it and tell us about the result in this thread.