Version 13.x breaks USB bootloader mode for Rockchip devices

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Lele, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Lele

Lele Bit poster

Hi I have an issue specifically with version 13 flashing Android images to my Rockchip device using Ubuntu Linux.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    • put my Android Rockchip device (RK3368) into boot loader mode
      • adb reboot bootloader (either from Mac side or Linux side, no changes at all)
    • Check the status using the "upgrade_tool" binary (doesn't matter if you never used it! read on..)
      • upgrade_tool
    ..at this point
    • Parallels 12 correctly identifies the device in "Loader" mode, which allows me to flash firmware etc
    • Parallels 13 in the SAME conditions identifies the device in "MaskRom" mode, which I can't use to upload firmware.

NOTE that the details on the "upgrade_tool" binaries or the linux distro are not relevant at all. This is the very same image that is run with Parallels 12 or Parallels 13 without changing absolutely anything else, not even rebooting the Android device. This just means there is *something* in Parallels 13 that is interfering with the USB bus at some point. I NEVER had such issues with any of the previous Parallels versions.

This also happens BEFORE updating parallels tools when switching to Version 13 meaning it is likely an issue with the core app and not the additional parallels tools/drivers

What exactly was changed in the USB bus since version 13?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. achang

achang Bit poster

I also have the same problem. After upgrading from PD11 to PD14, I can no longer use RockChip Tools to update firmware image. No matter in Windows or Linux, device(RK3288) can't be recognized as "Loader" mode, so it is not related to Guest OS.

This problem has seriously affected the progress of the project, please resolve it as soon as possible...

Thanks!

3. Alexander Haltman

Alexander Haltman Parallels Developers

Can you provide USB VID:pID for your device before and after switching into boot loader mode? (Something that "lsusb" can do)

4. achang

achang Bit poster

boot Normal mode
    Bus 001 Device 008: ID 2207:0010

boot Loader mode
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2207:320a

5. achang

achang Bit poster

Is there a way to get around this problem, such as setting VID:pID in config.pvs, then can pass through the original USB to GuestOS?

6. achang

achang Bit poster

Use "usb monitor tool" on PD11 and PD5 respectively, when device switching to Loader mode, the bcdUSB in Control Transfer is different:
    PD11: 0x0210
    PD15: 0x0200
    I am not sure if it is related...

Please refer to lines 7~9 in the attachment(PD11, works very well):
    000005: Control Transfer (UP), 31.08.2019 18:38:01.201 +0.0. (1. Device: Rockusb Device) Status: 0x00000000
    Pipe Handle: Control Pipe
    12 01 01 02 00 00 00 40 07 22 0A 32 00 01 00 00 00 01

PD11: 12 01 01 02
    PD15: 12 01 00 02

Attached Files:

7. achang

achang Bit poster

In addition, my MBP is currently installed PD15. In order to do this comparison, I need to install PD11 (which I used before) on my iMac, but I found that PD11 has reached the limit of activation...

My idea is that if Parallels can't solve the usb problem in the short term... it seems to be starting after PD13... I will need another computer running PD11.

1. PD15->Ubuntu VM: Build RockChip kernel image and copy to PD11->VM
    2. PD11->VM: Use RockChip tools to upgrade the image to RK board

Really troublesome...

8. achang

achang Bit poster

Hello Alexander, is there any further information on this question?
    Because the PD15 problem has not been resolved, I must switch between PD11 and PD15. Several questions ask:
    1. Can I install PD11 and PD15 at the same time?
    2. Is there a limit on the number of repeated installations on the same machine?

I hope to start using PD15, please solve this problem as soon as possible, thank you.

9. PeterN13

PeterN13 Bit poster

Hello together, i have exactly the same problem. Is there any chance that this problem gets fixed in near future?

10. FancyB

FancyB Bit poster

Same problem still happening. Is there any workaround?