Very new - Just point me in the right direction please?

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by Tanya Agius, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Tanya Agius

Tanya Agius Bit poster

I am a very new Mac converter. I purchased my iMac from a reputable Re-seller. I also purchased Parallels 3.0 and a copy of XP to run on it. For a little extra $'s they also loaded everything for me. However, here I am with this beautiful machine running Paralles. I have used my old PC programs on their nicely. However, I do not know what to do with the upgrades/downloads etc? I keep getting told there are new downloads, but when I give it the ok to download it tells me this version of ...... is already downloaded? I thought that I then am supposed to "install Parallel tools" to have the upgrades install? Is that right? Is there a new newbie place I can go to get the basics of operating and maintaining this program? Sometimes in coherent mode, the screen flashes and plays up???? Please point me in the right direction. Where can I download some how to PDF's? Preferably ones that are easy to follow.

Thanks
    T

2. dennisthemennis

dennisthemennis Member

Someone will help shortly

I am surprised a moderator hasnt responded, Just download them which you have and install them including parallels tools and it should work fine, just make sure you download the newest version.

someone will come along shortly I guess and give you some technical help, JUST don give up cos when it gets working it works well.

3. Tanya Agius

Tanya Agius Bit poster

Hi Dennis - Yes I have also wondered why it has taken so long for anyone to post a response here? I would like to upgrade to Parallel 4.0 but again, I really don't know how to do this? I know someone as new as me might be a pain, but we all have to start somewhere?

Yo said above.... "just download them which you have and install then INCLUDING parallels tools" I download the updates and then I run "install Parallel tools". Is that ALL I have to do? Is there anything else I am missing?

I still don't know where to find the PDF's for beginners?

Tanya

4. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello Tanya Agius,

Please check what build of Parallels Desktop is installed on Mac (Parallels Desktop -> about Parallels Desktop)
    The latest build of Parallels Desktop 3.0 is 5626, if you have newer build please download the latest build 5626:

http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels-Desktop-5626-Mac-en.dmg (english build)
    After that please double click on the file and following installation Wizard
    After upgrade will finish Parallels Tools should be installed automatically (in case they will not run in 2-3 min Actions -> Install Parallels Tools)

In View menu you may select VirtualMachine view mode. More information: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/index.htm

Please let us know if you have any questions.

5. Tanya Agius

Tanya Agius Bit poster

I have Desktop 3.0 and build 5582. I know it has downloaded a heap of times and I have clicked on Actions, Install Parallel tools. Obviously this is not right?? I will click on the above link and see what this does?

T

6. Tanya Agius

Tanya Agius Bit poster

YAY! I downloaded the latest version from your link (thank you so much) The tools updated automatically and I now have the latest build of 3.0 but I will be looking to upgrade to 4.0 soon. Is there an Australian site where I can purchase in AUD??

Also, if there is an automatic upgrade do I need to open these parallel upgrades whilst in OSX, or in Parallels? This confuses me because I only know when there is an upgrade when I am operating in Parallels. How do I activate the downloaded updates?

Tanya

7. galochka

galochka Hunter

Dear Tanya Agius,

Please visit our online store:
    https://secure.element5.com/esales/...79873&random=e54df3406283d755cab41de406486029

Right now you have up-to-date version of Parallels desktop 3.0 5626, so you do not need in automatic updates.

When you will purchase the Parallels Desktop 4.0 or in case you wish to test it trial you may download the direct link on our website. After that you will be able check for updates -> Help-> check for updates or on our website. Your Virtual Machines shoudl be stopped