Very poor quality from SKYPE on V3.0

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by john., Jul 5, 2007.

1. john.

john. Member

I used to struggle to use Skype with my USB Cordless Dual phones on the previous version of Parallels, But it appears to be considerably worse under 3.0.

Anyone any other experieces of using SKYPE on Parallels?

Thanks

John
    :(

2. gersos

gersos Bit poster

Same issue

Yes, i too have the same issue with poor quality in Skype3.0, latest ver of parallels.

How about some help Admins??????

3. David5000

David5000 Pro

No argument--just curious to know why you using Skype with Windows instead of OS X?

David

4. gersos

gersos Bit poster

In a word... Skype for Mac sucks. It has no "extras" and it just works poorly.

Dan

5. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

john., gersos,

Could you please elaborate on how exactly the Skype quality seems worse to you? Is it video recording/playback issue, sound recording/playback or something else?
    And what PD build exactly are you running, 4560 release or 5060 beta?

6. gersos

gersos Bit poster

4560. Latest skype. The audio quality is terrible, sounds like static on the line. Audio is fine in the MacOS. I have a feeling its a USB related issue. I tried 2 headsets and the same issue.

Dan

7. john.

john. Member

I am not at home using my Mac at present so I can't tell you which build I am using, but it was the only version of 3.0 I have loaded for the UK market, which came out shortly after the initial release in the USA.

The problem I get with Skype is associated with very poor sound quality.....considerable interference, sound breaking up etc... . People I call also complain that they cannot hear me.

I am not using video

Thx

John

8. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Thank you.
    Could you also specify what Windows version are you using? Vista, XP, 2000?

9. gersos

gersos Bit poster

Sorry, XP Pro.

10. john.

john. Member

Also XP Pro

11. john.

john. Member

I have also used two totally different devices and I get the same problems

12. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

OK, I guess this information should be enough for our QA team to check the issue. We'll try to confirm and fix the problem.

13. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I've used Skype for Windows in my VM. I call internationally a lot (usually South America but sometimes Germany and Japan). Works well. For me, the key to good sound is a good "corded" USB headset (I have a Logitech 250 and a 350 and both work very well). I've tried cordless as well as some of these telephone-style handsets and neither really work that well.

Same holds for Skype for Mac although cordless is a bit better than with Skype for Windows in the VM. My son uses Skype for Windows on his "pure" Windows Dell laptop and his works well.

14. john.

john. Member

To confirm :-

1. Skype on a pure windows environment is not an issue with either corded or cordless devices.
    2. Skype on a MAC OS is ok but I have only use corded devices, the problem with the Mac version of Skype is that it is featureless compared to the Windows version.
    3. In my experiences of using Skype on the Parallels VM is that i get very poor sound quality regardless of whether I use corded or cordless devices.

Thanks

John

15. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Guys,

How do you connect the USB microphones to VM - as USB device or just use as the Default Audio device in Mac OS? In the second case the sound quality should be somehow better, please check (go to System Preferences - Audio and set your mic as default recording device, then load Windows VM and do not connect the mic as USB device, just try using it as is).

16. john.

john. Member

I always set up the USB device direct in the VM and then via the Skype Audio Settings

17. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Please try setting it as Mac OS Sound Device as I described and not connecting it directly to VM, jut leave it on the Mac OS side. This way it will work as generic sound input device in VM and will use Mac OS driver. Sound quality should improve in this case.

18. john.

john. Member

As indicated earlier I am not where my MAC is at present, I will certainly try this in a couple of days and let you know.

19. gersos

gersos Bit poster

Ok, I see what you mean. I didnt think that was even possible but I guess it makes total sense. Once i got my bluetooth headset working right with MacOS then i was able to make a clear skype call using skypeVM. This also solves my other issue of getting the bluetooth to work in the VM.

thanks
    Dan

20. john.

john. Member

OK Apologise for not getting back sooner on this one, I have been traveling with no access to my MAC.

When I do as you suggest using my USB headset the quality of the sound does improve considerably, however the major drawback now is that I cannot use the MAC to play any sounds through the sound system that I use. AndI have already found out that if the default sound device is not set at Parallels start time you cannot access it through SKYPE after starting windows, so it is not possible to reconfigure your sound device in W XP if you want to make or receive a call using the USB Headset.

I also tried this same procedure when using my Olympia Dualphone which is my preferred SKYPE device as it allows for wireless communications throughout my home. When I use this device the sound quality is also improved but the device keeps dropping out every few seconds Not sure if I need another driver for this device, however the MAC appears to recognize it correctly.