Very slow to no VM network connection unless using a VPN on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Thor99, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Thor99

Thor99 Bit poster

Just recently I'm seeing a strange issue where in my Windows 10 VM I get a very slow to no network connection, even though I'm having no network issues in macOS. Speed tests in the VM show as zero, some web pages load eventually, but most just hang. Yet Windows does say it's connected with Internet access.

I tried reinstalling Parallels Tools and other troubleshooting, but nothing helped. I also tried loading a few older backups of my VM to see if the issue existed for those as well, even though there were no problems when I saved them. But the same thing happened, slow to no network connection.

I figured then it wasn't the VM, and reinstalled Parallels, but that didn't fix it. Then I tried connecting my MacBook to a VPN, and lo and behold I then had no network issues from the VM. Disconnect from the VPN and the issues returned. I thought then that maybe something with a firewall was causing the problem, but when I disabled both the firewall in the VM and on my Mac I still had network issues without connecting to the VPN.

Does anyone know what's happening here? I had been using Parallels 15 on Mojave for quite a while with no issues, but just installed Catalina a few weeks ago, not sure if that's related?

Thanks!

2. Hi, did you test this issue with shared and bridged modes?

3. Thor99

Thor99 Bit poster

I just changed to bridged mode, and that appears to fix this problem. Why though did switching fix it, when shared had been working previously?

4. May be the issue appeared due to some conflict between ip address. If you decide to continue investigation, please let me know, I'll share with you some instructions for tests

5. BrianB35

BrianB35 Bit poster

Hi, my girlfriend has been having lots of issues with her windows. She try to send a 20kb email and it won't send. I run a speedtest. Get full speed on the download but nothing on the upload. I just changed the DNS on the Mac side for the Google DNS and it seemed to fix it. Does anyone can try that and get back to me if this solved their issues.
    Procedure :
    Network Preferences
    Advanced
    DNS
    + 8.8.8.8
    and
    + 8.8.4.4
    so you should have both in the DNS window