Video Upside Down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DigitalHytop, Aug 11, 2007.

1. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

I'm running the latest VM and Windows XP Pro. All of my videos play upside down when run in Windows Media Player. I did a search on the forums and found no other posts about this. Am I the only person this is doing this to or is there a setting or fix for this that I've not found yet?

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Were you playing avi using divx codec? Did you experience this after you upgrade the divx codec? If your answer is yes for both, that means the divx upgrade wasn't complete, probably because some program was using divx at that time. You need to uninstall divx and reinstall it again and that should solve the problem.

3. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

Hi Sidssp. Thanks for your reply. It does appear to be Divx encoded files. I can run .mpg files without issue. I did as you suggested and uninstalled Divx and re-installed it with nothing running in the background. I'm still having the same issue. I downloaded the latest and greatest of Divx and I even have a registration key that I paid for and have been running for over a year.

I'm still at a loss.

4. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

Nobody else has this issue or a resolve?

5. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

ok folks, this is yet another time of bumping this post. I cannot believe I'm the only one having an issue with this or that there isn't some other avenues of attempting resolve to offer up. How bout I at least hear from one of the Powers that be at Parallels, or should I jump on ship with those that are becoming rapidly frustrated with the issues this software still has?

6. brkirch

brkirch Pro

What build of Parallels are you using? Do you have DirectX support enabled in your VM configuration? If so try disabling it.

7. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

My build is 4560 and I did have DirectX support enabled. I disabled as you suggested and restarted my XP Pro and all my avi files are still running upside down. The picture quality is excellent, sound plays well, I just basically have to watch the movie doing a head stand on my desk. Not a very comfortable position either, I might add.

8. brkirch

brkirch Pro

Since that didn't work, try going to the Divx Decoder Configuration Utility and turning off "Use advanced hardware overlay".

9. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

You da Man (or woman)! That fixed it. I'll try turning the DirectX back on later too to make sure it still holds right side up. Can't do atm since I'm in the middle of a large download. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

10. DigitalHytop

DigitalHytop Bit poster

Just an FYI. After turning the DirectX back on, my videos are still playing right side up as intended. Seems the DivX setting was all that needed to be set to correct this issue.

Thanks again brkirch for pointing me in the right direction.