Virtual Hosts & MAMP Webserver & some other great questions!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NeilC, Jun 27, 2007.

1. NeilC

NeilC Bit poster

Hi Everyone

I've successfully installed the latest version of Parallels onto a Boot Camp installation of XP, using a slipstream XP SP2 disc (built using Autostreamer), onto a new MacBook Pro. It works great. However, I still have a few issues that need resolving before I have a nice streamlined web development environment - so if you can help me out with any of these, you're a star - I'll be in workflow heaven!

First issue
    I want to get my XP installation using the Mac OS X host installation of MAMP webserver. MAMP has been configured to use the /Sites/ directory for htdocs, which means that I can access my MAMP hosted sites from XP by typing in the host IP address. However, this means that all my links, inc. stylesheet hrefs etc, are all broken when I'm trying to test them in XP on Parallels, because in my code I address everything to the root. Therefore, I'd like to configure XP to access MAMP on OS X as if it was a localhost in XP.

I've searched this very forum and came across a walkthrough on configuring Virtual Hosts;

http://www.blazenewmedia.com/articles/howto-virtual-hosts-with-parallels-and-osx

But that walkthrough is a year old now, and I wanted to ask if anyone knew of a updated walkthrough, or if Parallels has built-in something to cover this localhost access issue since last year.....

Second issue
    I originally installed Parallels on a separate image (at the time I didn't know that you could use a Boot Camp image, which was actually my ideal configuration), but removed this to set up a single XP install for Boot Camp and Parallels once I knew it was possible.

The first installation of Parallels seemed to create an 'XP' and 'My Boot Camp' images (my Boot Camp image is named 'Windows XP', so these previous images should have nothing to do with the one I want to use), which, when I came to reinstalling Parallels onto a Boot Camp image, still existed. What am I supposed to do about these? They still appear in the Parallels boot menu, when I'd much rather they didn't. I haven't tried loading them, but I presume they don't do anything.....

Third issue
    Whenever I load my XP installation in Parallels, it seems that it needs to initialise Parallel Tools upon every startup - is this normal?

Fourth issue
    Finally - is it possible to configure a default windowed resolution and default full-screen resolution for Parallels?

And that's about it for now, so any help really is very much appreciated!

2. NeilC

NeilC Bit poster

I've got a little closer to getting WinXP on parallels to use the local server on MAMP, but I can't get it to use the name 'localhost' for some reason. Is this a reserved name in all OS's? For example, I can use 'local' as the name of the virtual host, but then all my CMS installations on the MAMP 'localhost' obviously throw out links that reference 'localhost', so other than the index page, everything is broken!

This tutorial seems like the one to follow;

http://2ni.ch/2006/11/22/setting-up-parallels-and-virtual-hosts-on-your-macbook/#comment-56985