Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem:

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by mwhite, Jul 1, 2007.

1. mwhite

mwhite Bit poster

File /Users/mwhite/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP 2/winxp.hdd seems to be not a regular file and cannot be used as a hard disk image.

Using agent build 1240 7/6/2007, on Wxp sp2, migrating via Firewire and get same problem migrating via removable disk. Parallel for OSX build 3214.

Have looked at permissions cant see anything wrong with .hdd file or xml file.

Puzzled and stuck.:confused:

2. wacitsupport

wacitsupport Bit poster

Don'r use Transporter it really doesn't work.

I wasted some valuable hours trasnporting files from a DELL to iMac G5 only to be faced with that same error message. Transporter transports all the hardware drivers some of which can't be deleted from XP. The device drivers conflict with device drivers in Mac OS.

You are better off creating a network drive within your VM and dragging the files across. Don't use the parallels shared folder.

3. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

If you use Parallels Desktop for Mac Build 3214 which includes build-in Parallels Transporter 2.0.1080 you should use the appropriate Win package of Parallels Transporter (Agent) 2.0.1080 on your Windows PC. You can find Parallels Transporter Agent 2.0.1080 on http://download.parallels.com/GA/Parallels-Tsp-2.0.1080-Win.exe

Transporter build 1240 creates .hdd files for Parallels Desktop v.3.0.

4. jsb229

jsb229 Bit poster

Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem

I purchased NEW Parallels 3.0 build 4128.0 software at the local Apple store. It worked fine the first day and I was successful with installing Windows Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 professional. Three days later, I get the following error message:

Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file /Users/MacBook/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd. The file is missing, corrupted, or used by other applications.

I have found similar posts in the KB, but not a 1:1 match.

This seems to be quite pervasive across multiple platforms/OS/VM. Thoughts on what I can do to correct on this Parallels 3.0 build 4128.0?

5. BLP

BLP Bit poster

Virtual machine cannot be started...

Hello - I have nearly the same exact problem: after upgrading from version 2 to version 3 Parallels Build 4128 (and running successfully for several weeks) now when starting Parallels I receive the following message: "Virtual machine cannot be started because of the following problem: Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file /Users/Username/Documents/Parallels/MSWinXP/winxp.hdd. The file is missing, corrupted, or used by other applicaiton."

Has anyone been able to fix this?
    BLP

6. squidleun4

squidleun4 Bit poster

7. Saurus

Saurus Bit poster

Hi, I have tried this fix above and removed the ".lck" (DiskDescriptor.xml.lck) but this has had no effect. I am still getting the same error.

[​IMG]

Anybody got any other solutions? Thanks

8. LeighY

LeighY Bit poster

I get the same message:

File /Users/leighyoung/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/winxp.hdd seems to be not a regular file and cannot be used as a hard disk image.

Just last night I tried to start Parallels and got an error message saying it couldn't communicate with one of it's drivers. A restart didn't help so I uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I had to download the program from the website because I got a "Cannot install. There is nothing to install." when I tried using the cd. Anyway, it worked, got it reinstalled even though I got a message that I would be installing over new versions of the softwares. I clicked ok and went ahead and it worked. But now when I try to start Windows XP I get that message about the winxp.hdd file. I tried the suggestion that's linked here, about finding the .lck file but I can't find any .lck files. I got half way through the suggestion of reinstalling Windows when I realized I would have two versions on my computer when I just want to fix the one.

Are there any more solutions to try? I was hoping to have this fixed up before going away for the holiday.

9. GaryEagle

GaryEagle Bit poster

File is corrupted

Everything was working fine yesterday and today I started Parallels 3.0 build 5482 (I think) and got the screen for OS Installation. I went through the process creating a new installation of Windows XP. Then did the Windows software update, restart Windows XP and the screen displayed the memory count and froze. parallels would not force quit, so I shut down the Mac OS X 10.4.11 and tried Parallels again. Now I am back to the OS Installation screen. I tried Custom installation selecting the old or newly created hard disk image and get the error "The file is corrupted.

Any ideas?

10. dapapabear

dapapabear Bit poster

I had the same problem "parallels desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file..."

I am a complete novice. I didn't know what to do. I was completely frustrated. Parallels had worked fine, then all of a sudden I got that message and life was hell. I started reading the forums and tried everything that was posted. Nothing worked. Finally, I came across a post in which the user said he/she had Build 4128. Being a novice, I didn't know what that meant. I started clicking around in Parallels and found Build 4128. So I uninstalled 4128 and updated it with 5608 from Parallels downloads. I had the same problem.

Finally I started clicking around again in 5608 until I got to a point where it told me that I had a virtual machine named Microsoft XP. I renamed the new vm XP2. Then I installed Windows XP. Now everything is working fine. I don't know how long this will work or if I've slowed this down to a crawl. We'll see.

11. GaryEagle

GaryEagle Bit poster

Unable to open the virtual hard disk. ARGH!

This time I removed parallels, installed build 5608, installed Windows XP, did the Windows update, restarted XP, loaded Magellan Maps software. I have rebooted a couple of times over the past two weeks, then today, I started Parallels and get the annoying message: unable to open the virtual hard disk.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is exact error/

13. dsmajor

dsmajor Bit poster

14. NateJ

NateJ Bit poster

I cannot start windows through paralells, the message I get is :The virtual Hard Disk 1 image file /Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd could not be found

Any suggestions?

15. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi, NateJ.

I suggest that "/Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista" was renamed to "/Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista.pvm". If my suggestion is correct, you can just update hdd location in VM configuration.

Otherwise, please, type following commands in your Terminal and post it's output here:
    ls -la /Users/user/Documents/Parallels/
    ls -la /Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd