virtual machine can't edit configuration

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by vachaj, Jul 17, 2007.

1. vachaj

vachaj Bit poster

I have a Windows Vista virtual machine that runs fine when I click on my desktop "parallels" icon called "Microsoft Windows Vista". However, when I launch the Parallels software (so as to not start Vista just Parallels) and then I hit edit/virtual machine, I get "Unable to find the image file /Users/.../Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd of the Virtual Hard Disk 1. Please check that the path is valid and required disk image file exists." Anyone have a clue on how to fix this? It doesn't seem the image is really messed up as Vista runs fine from the dedicated icon.

Appreciated,
    Jeff

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

vachaj,

Please try editing the VM configuration when it tells you about the wrong path, click on the browse button for the HDD file ("..." button) and try pointing VM to the correct hdd file manually - maybe there is some error in the path?

3. vachaj

vachaj Bit poster

Thanks for the response. I re-selected the correct path in the hard drive selection and it selects fine although it says it is 0 bytes. When I hit OK to close the configuration page, I get .. "File /Users/jeff/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows Vista/winvista.hdd seems to be not a regular file and cannot be used as a hard disk image. Of course, it can "be used" as Vista boots but I apparently can't change the configuration of it!

Any thoughts?

Jeff

4. vachaj

vachaj Bit poster

Let me clarify.. It doesn't say it is 0 bytes. It says Virtual Disk Size: --- MB

Jeff

5. spectre

spectre Parallels Team