Virtual Machine Memory Limit

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by snevesgraca, Feb 28, 2007.

1. snevesgraca

snevesgraca Bit poster

Hello,

In the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac#Limitations) there is the following description about virtual machines with more than 1.5 GB of RAM:

'Supported memory limit for all virtual machines is 4 GB, and memory limit for a single virtual machine is 1.5GB. It should be noted that the RAM limitation has been raised on 64-bit iMac's and Mac Pro towers to 16GB. Further, there's no longer the 1.5GB RAM limit on single virtual machines on the 64-bit iMac or Mac Pro Towers.'

Is this so? I found no reference to this possibility in the user guide of Parallels Desktop for Mac 2.5. I typically use 4 GB per VMware virtual machine and while Parallels Desktop for Mac is very good for client applications, raising the memory limit would broaden its usage to server applications.

Thanks, Sancho Neves-Graca

2. Anarchytec

Anarchytec Bit poster

Yes - please. Could someone (Parallels team perhaps) clarify this Wiki and if correct please direct to appropriate documentation?

Thanks!

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... I have 2.5 GB piped off to my VM in OS X Server running on a Xeon-based XServe.... I hope it doesn't mean that the memory is dedicated for nothing... It seems to be registering it in Windows though... But, as I said, I don't know.

Edit: It's actually 2.5 GB available... Not piped off. :(

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  4. Anarchytec

Anarchytec Bit poster

Virtual Machine Memory Limit - Please Clarify

Please clarify - it has been a few days so I thought I'd reiterate.

Does the 1.5 gb ram limit apply to 64 bit architecture (iMac and Tower)?

The Parallels Wiki says no - that one may allocate more memory than the 1.5gb limit. But I can not find this in the Parallels documentation. Perhaps the Wiki has mistated what has been found here: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/sr/

Under "Guest Hardware Specs":

Up to 1500 MB RAM available for guest virtual machines.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

5. STim

STim Bit poster

At the moment, Parallels Desktop can address up to 16GB of RAM for all VMs, no matter if it's MacMini or MacPro.

But each single VM can have only up to 1.5 GB RAM - we didn't originally design Parallels Desktop to be a server product, although it seems to be widely and successfully used like this. We're working hard on removing this limitation, just stay tuned!

6. Anarchytec

Anarchytec Bit poster

Tim -

Thanks very much for this clarification. I realize you guys are busy and digging in the forums may not be the best use of your time. Very much appreciated.

I look forward to this limitation being removed. That being said - you guys are doing fantastic, extraordinary work.

And if I every have the honor of meeting any of the fine people on your team - they'll certainly not be buying any of their own drinks!

Kind regards -

Phil

7. spetznatz

spetznatz Hunter

Yes, Please Tim...

I just shelled out for 2GB of extra RAM for my Mac Pro, to dedicate solely to Parallels...but only 1.5 GB is available.

With the price of FB-DIMMs now going through the floor, raising the limit would make sense.

Oh, and I don't think the memory limit is a client / server thing -- 2GB seems to be the "Comfort Zone" for using any OS these days...especially if you're doing 3D work.

Keep up the good work...!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Oh it sure as heck works great as a server product!

9. mgolczewski

mgolczewski Bit poster

Agreed. 2BG is what most Vista users will find the way to go even though MS suggest much less. I say open it up as much as possible for those who have the memory to burn.

Mark G.