Virtual machine Windows crashes ssd

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GiovanniA4, Mar 1, 2024.

1. GiovanniA4

GiovanniA4 Bit poster

Good morning. For years I have been using parallels on my 2011 iMac, the virtual machines created are inside a secondary SSD connected via SATA directly to the iMac. Lately it happened that the virtual machine with Windows 10 didn't start, I thought it was a general problem, and having a backup I wanted to restore. In order not to go on too long, I'll say directly that I had to format the SSD and redo everything, after 15 days the same problem again. I thought it was the SSD and I bought a new one, I thought I had solved it, same problem, I replace the Sata and power cables of the Imac, same problem today. I wonder what it could depend on. A problem with the individual virtual machine or a settings problem?

2. ramans1

ramans1 Bit poster

make sure you are using the latest version of parallels for mac.

3. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

4. GiovanniA4

GiovanniA4 Bit poster

sorry but it wasn't possible for me, I have already sent two reports for the same problem but without attaching photos. now I had to reformat the secondary SSD and I'm copying a backup of the virtual machine I had on the USB SSD. Let's see if it comes back and proceed with the report. Thank you

5. GiovanniA4

GiovanniA4 Bit poster

what I don't understand is immediately after closing the report to be sent, a screen appears telling me that I have the latest update of parallels 17 and that version 18 for Mac has been released. Unfortunately I can't update on my Mac because it's dated. Another thing that I can't explain is that after restarting the Mac the secondary SSD is no longer available and I am forced to format losing everything.

6. GiovanniA4

GiovanniA4 Bit poster

today after days of trying to create and repair virtual machines I thought I had solved it but instead I had problems again. One virtual machine has disappeared and the other one won't start. This is the report id 453714900. I can't figure out what the problem is.

7. AndersonM2

AndersonM2 Bit poster

i'm having the same problems, i use the 17th version and it seems like they ask me to update to the last version so the problem "stops" just to get the money. Does anyone know how to solve the problem without having to pay for the uptade?

8. AndersonM2

AndersonM2 Bit poster

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    2. Click on the Parallels Desktop logo on the Mac menu bar > select Control Center.
    3. Right-click on the Parallels Desktop application icon in the dock > select Control Center.
    4. Right-click on your virtual machine and select "Show in Finder".
    5. Right-click on the .pvm file > "Show package contents".
    6. Right-click config.pvs > "Open with" > TextEdit > locate the following string:

<SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts>

7. Change the value for Type from 1 to 0.
    8. Press the Command and S shortcut to save changes.
    9. Start your virtual machine, and check if the issue persists.

Im with problem similar. I use version 17 and crashing my VM. I do steps up, but not worket.
    My MACOS is Ventura 13.5.
    Did you have a solution?????
    Tks

9. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

We checked the technical report and it seems to be a known issue.

As a possible solution, kindly follow the steps below in order to refresh the permission of Parallels Desktop completely :

1. Make sure Parallels Desktop Application is not running (Click on Parallels Desktop Icon on top of the Mac Menu bar > Select Quit Parallels Desktop).

2. Click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Privacy & Security > Full Disk Access > Select Parallels Desktop > Click on the "-" Sign below to remove it completely.

3. Click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Privacy & Security > Accessibility > Select Parallels Desktop > Click on the "-" Sign below to remove it completely.

4. Open Finder > Select Application > Right Click on Parallels Desktop and select Move to Bin to uninstall it. (Don't worry, this won't affect your Virtual Machines)

5. Click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Select Add Account > Enter your Mac Password > Under New Account > Select Administrator > Then Enter your preferred account name & Password.

6. Restart the Mac > Then log in to the newly created User account instead of the Old One.

7. Download and Install Parallels Desktop 17 from the link Below:

https://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd17

8. Open Parallels Desktop 17 > Give all permissions if requested > Click on Parallels Icon on top of Mac Menu Bar > Select Control Center > Click on the "+' Sign

9. Select "Get Windows 11 from Microsoft" and follow the on screens instructions > Create the Windows 11 Virtual Machine > Try to reproduce the issue.

10. If Everything Works fine in the new User Profile > Log Out > Switch back to the Old Userprofile > Open Parallels Desktop and try to reproduce the issue again.

11. In case everything works fine > Click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Users & Groups > Delete the New User profile that you created.

Please let us know the result of the above steps.

Kindly collect an additional technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this email.

Looking forward to hearing from you.