Virtual ML 2880x1800 on a MacBook Pro Retina set to "Best for retina" resolution?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by rft, Sep 10, 2012.

1. rft

rft Member

Since the Adobe Suite does not yet support the HiDPI modes of the MacBook Pro Retina, I was wondering if it is possible to run the MBPR in "Best for Retina" resolution, but use Parallels to run the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, aso.) in a virtual machine running Mountain Lion at the full 2880 x 1800 resolution?

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks for all info,
    Robert

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

rft,

This mode is not supported yet for Mac OS X Guests.

Alex

3. rft

rft Member

Thanks for the clarification. Will this be supported in a future version?

Thanks,
    Robert

4. alexg

Robert,

Mac Guest Retina support are planned.

Did you try enable Retina Support in the Video section in VM settings? It will allow you to use large resolutions in guest while your MBPR operates in 1440x900.

Alex

5. rft

rft Member

Great!

I have not done any tests yet, because I didn't want to waste my time setting up a Mac OS X Guest.

Somehow this contradicts your earlier answer... so I am confused.
    This is exactly what I want, if it applies to Mac OS X Guests as well
    (I know it works for Windows Guests):

I want the MBPR to run 1440x900 HiDPI
    I want the Mac OS X Guest to run 2880x1800

Does enabling Retina Support in the Video section in VM settings do that?

Thanks for your patience,
    Robert

6. alexg

Yes, Robert, but the 2880x1800 resolution will be available in fullscreen mode only. In the windowed mode it is not possible.

7. rft

rft Member

Thanks. Now its clear.

8. rft

rft Member

Thanks to your info, I have now set up a ML virutal machine for running the Adobe Apps that don't support HiDPI yet at native (2880x1800) resolution. Works nicely. [Of course the menus are tiny... oh well].

Greetings,
    Robert

9. jnelson

jnelson Bit poster

alexg, do you have any idea when support for retina resolutions (HiDPI) in a mac os guest will be implemented?

10. alexg

jnelson, i'm sorry but i cant get you the clear answer :) but you can use the Retina resolution right now by using some tricks. You can turn on Retina resolution support by Quartz Debug tool (Xcode tool) and then you will be able to select some Retina resolutions inside Mac OS X guest. Or, use Command line in Terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool YES;
    sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver DisplayResolutionDisabled;

But you should do it twice and relogon on each attempt.

11. jnelson

jnelson Bit poster

alexg, thanks for the pointer, but it did not work. I assume you intended for me to change the defaults inside the guest OS? I did that, logged out and in, did it again, then logged out and in. No retina options were available in the Displays system preference.

Are there any other settings I need to configure? I checked "Enable Retina Resolution" in the configure virtual machine settings dialog. I've tried using full screen and windowed modes to no avail. Any other tips?