Virtualizing physical Leopard server to a parallels vm

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AdrianW, Oct 8, 2010.

1. AdrianW

AdrianW Bit poster

Hi All,

I apologize if this topic has been covered numerous times, but I couldn't find any documentation on how to virtualize a physical leopard server to a parallels vm using the parallels transporter. I found the terminal based solution in the kb but was hoping there was a less complicated method.

Basically, I'm after something like the windows/linux transporter agent but for a leopard server.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Are you talking about the instructions at http://kb.parallels.com/5403 ?

The instructions are about as simple as they can be. Create a disk image of the Leopard Server disk, then create a new virtual machine without using an installation disk, and select the disk image as Hard Disk 1.

Another way to create the disk image might be:

1) Create the disk image file: Run Disk Utility. Make sure no partitions are selected. Click New Image. Enter a name for the disk image in the Save As edit text box. Name: Enter a name for the partition on the new disk image. Set Size to Custom, and enter the size in GB - make it slightly larger (at least by 400 MB) than your Leopard server partition. Format: Mac OS Extended. Encryption: none. Partitions: Single partition - GUID partition map. Image Format: read/write disk image. Click Create and wait for it to create the disk image. Disk Utility will automatically mount the disk image partition in the Finder and it will appear in the Disk Utility window.

2) Restore Leopard server to the disk image: In Disk Utility, click the Restore tab. Drag the Leopard Server partition to Source field. Drag the disk image partition (not the disk image) to the Destination field. Select Erase destination. Click Restore. Wait for it to finish. Disk Utility will mount the partition in the Finder so you need to eject it before using it with Parallels Desktop. Change the file extension in the Finder from .dmg to .hdd so Parallels can use the disk image. It is now a Parallels Desktop 3 or earlier fixed size virtual hard disk file.

3) Create a Leopard server virtual machine: In Parallels Desktop: File -> New -> Continue without disk -> Mac OS X Server v10.5 -> Customize settings before installation.

4) Make the disk image the hard disk: Hardware -> Hard Disk 1. Click [-] to remove Hard Disk 1. Move to trash. Click [+] to add a new Hard Disk 1. Type: Existing Image file. Location: Choose a file.... Select the Leopard Server .hdd file. It will convert it to a Parallels Desktop 6 .hdd.

Now you should be able to start the Leopard server virtual machine.

3. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

This creates a fixed size virtual hard disk file. You can use the Edit button in the Hard Disk settings of the virtual machine hardware configuration to convert it to an expanding disk.