Vista RC1: hangs at shutdown...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by detayls, Sep 21, 2006.

1. detayls

detayls Junior Member

With 1898 I have a basically working Vista RC1. It has the choppy audio problem that has been reported elsewhere.

The main issue is that the VM does not shut down cleanly. After a looong pause I have to press the red square to kill the VM.

On the next launch of Vista I see "Windows did not shutdown properly" and have to click to capture the mouse and then press Enter to start Vista.

2. detayls

detayls Junior Member

Only difference: Trend Micro PC-Cillin...

I forgot to mention that I have installed Trend Micro PC-Cillin as my virus protection, which is the only difference from a stock install.

3. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Well,

I have the same issue and my Vista RC1 is clean. I have the exact same problem, the audio is choppy and Vista does not shut down properly.

4. aquarian1954

aquarian1954 Bit poster

Make sure you're selecting Shut Down under the triangle icon. If you click on the icon to the left of the padlock, you'll get exactly what you describe. BTDT:)

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Thank you,
    that did the trick

6. Pleiades

Pleiades Member

It is strange that Microsoft hides the shutdown. The icon that looks like a shutdown is really a sleep button. I'm guessing sleeping the OS inside a VM doesn't work too well.

Like others, I do have the audio problem. The sound is very choppy and never plays all the way through without breaking up.

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

I can suppose that sound problem is problem with Vista working speed.

8. kosh

kosh Member

It's well buried, but you can configure the shutdown button in Vista's start menu to power off (or hibernate) instead of standby. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Change Battery Settings. Once there select the "balanced" power plan, and click Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Power buttons and lid > Start menu Power button > Plugged in --> Shut down.

Straightforward, huh? :rolleyes: I had to google to find that here...

Build 1910 cleared that up for me.

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Yes 1910 cleared the sound option for me too.

Thanks for the <<easy solution>> to the shutdown button...

Wish these people used their software instead of just writing it ;-)

10. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

wow thanks for that link, on shut down,

I was like where is that button, so i clicked on the |> to the right of the (|) and lock and selected shutdown.

11. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Hey, Kosh are your running on a laptop?

Because, I went into Vista Just now on my MacMini to do this and it was already setup for shutdown.
    im in build 5600.

12. kosh

kosh Member

BenInBlack - No, I'm on a Mini, too. Vista build 5600 (now upgraded to 5728) defaulted with the power switch set to sleep when I set it up. (It took me a while to figure out what was going on when I though I was shutting down. "Sleep" was more like "coma...") I'm using a 1.66 GHz Core Duo Mini, 1 GB RAM, running Vista in a 512 MB VM which I think is really barely adequate, so am about to pop the top on the mini to swap out the RAM to 2 GB so I can kick it up a bit.