Visual Studio 2012 Hangs On Close

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Michael Pitt, Aug 30, 2012.

1. CoolDixon

CoolDixon Bit poster

Yesterday I installed VS2012 Update2 and it haven't failed so far. I'm not saying it is solved, but normally I used to have the issue sooner. I'll keep testing.

2. CoolDixon

CoolDixon Bit poster

It was too beautiful to be true. It continues failing with VS2012 Update2 as well

3. CoolDixon

CoolDixon Bit poster

4. MartinEB

MartinEB Bit poster

I have been using many hours to figure this out. This problem was introduced with VS2012 Update 1 or a Parallels Desktop update. I think it's VS2012 causing the troubles. Clean Win7/8 install with VS 2012 without updates seems to run fine.

5. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hello everybody.
    I have the exact same problem here with VS-2012 (but not with VS2010).
    My configuration is:

Windows 8 Pro x64
    Parallels Desktop v. 8.0.18483
    Visual Studio Premium 2012 v. 11.0.60315.01 Update 2

In my case, I hard-linked a Windows Folder to a Mac Folder using mklink so C:\Sources (the folder where I have my sources) is \\psf\sources.
    Another point: if I save all the files (Save All) before closing Visual Studio I significantly reduce the issue of hanging.

Finally: I have no ways to close VS. I need to restart Windows.

Regards.
    M.

6. Sergey A

Sergey A Bit poster

The same problem

If project files are stored on native Windows drive, everything is working as expected. But when I move my project files to mac fs, visual studio 2012 hangs on close.

Dear Parallels support. Do you have any comments on that?

7. JoshuaPearce

JoshuaPearce Bit poster

I've been having the same problem too.

My set up is:
    OSX 10.7.5
    Parallels 7.0.15107
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit
    Visual Studio 2012 Pro Update 2
    Home folder shared with read/write permissions
    Visual Studio Solution in a DropBox folder with DropBox service running on OSX only

I downloaded ProcMon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx)
    I started it and added the following filters:
    Process Name is devenv.exe THEN Include
    Process Name is prl_cc.exe THEN Include
    Path Excludes \\psf THEN Exclude

Then I tried to open a VS solution, edit a file, and shut it down. Wouldn't you know, it didn't hang!
    I also tried closing the lid on my macbook and letting the host and guest go to RAM-sleep, then reopening it and trying to close the solution, but it still worked.

I'm sure I will have the problem again in the future.

I suggest that anyone having this problem try ProcMon like I did and report back. ProcMon is the go-to program for finding file system permission errors.

8. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hello everybody.
    The problem still remains and it's very frustrating. As some other guy wrote above, moving files from \\pfs to local C: (not linked to \\pfs) works fine.
    So the problem seems to be related to Parallels Desktop and pfs/network management.

I would like to receive some news from Parallels support.

Thank you.

9. Alexed

Alexed Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. I tried the Parallels Tools reinstall and this ProcMon tweak and things are closing properly for me again.

10. DSmart

DSmart Bit poster

I solved the issue by changing the path where by vssettings file was being saved to a local path on C:\... instead of the \\psf\... network directory. In VS 2012 go to Tools > Options > Environment > Import and Export Settings: Automatically save my settings to this file.

vs2012-vssettings.png

11. burrows111

burrows111 Bit poster

I 've Had parallels support dial-in to my machine to further diagnose the issue and the best it was left with was
    'Hello Lee,

Thank you for pointing out this problem to us.
    Our Development Team is aware of this problem and they are already working on it. We cannot promise that the issue will be addressed in the next Hotfix or release but the Development team keeps track of the number of reports from customers in order to prioritize fixes.
    '

Hold on tight then but the solution in the quote does help a great deal!

12. TechSavvySam

TechSavvySam Bit poster

Yep. Every update of Parallels 8 breaks more stuff with the \\pfs mount point. If I try to mount the Documents directory on it now the windows 7 login process hangs forever. Every time I add a new update, I have to get on a tech support chat session with them to get things working right again.

13. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

So after battling with this for sometime - generally every-time I close VS2012 I have to logout/reboot when it hands - I think I've solved it!

If you mount \\psf\ to a local path (windows 7/8 supports this) say c:\shares\ , then VS is happy!

This also seems to solve a lot of my woes with IIS permissions etc.

Huzzah.

14. Alexed

Alexed Bit poster

Can you provide a little guidance on how to do what you're describing here? I don't see any way to "mount" anything called "psf" but that is most likely because I am a "noob"...

15. lonecoder

lonecoder Bit poster

Hey, no problem.

- Run a command prompt as administrator (Start, search for command prompt, right-click, run as administrator)
    - Type the command mklink /D "c:\mac" "\\psf\Home"
    - Hit return

Now use c:\mac to access your home folder, instead of Documents/network share etc

Still seems to be working for me! (after 2months now).

16. burrows111

burrows111 Bit poster

updated to :Build 8.0.18608
    (Revision 898384; July 17, 2013)

Issue still remains, due to the backup licence I have all my files need to be stored on my Mac an accessed via psf/home/ - I, like some of you, require VS2012 on a daily basis, if they can't fix the issue soon Im going to have to consider and alternative to run a VM. Shame because otherwise (except the mouse having a fit at times) Parallels works perfect.

17. burrows111

burrows111 Bit poster

Seems OK in Parallels desktop 9 with no needed changes mentioned above etc.

Build 9.0.23036