VM Direct Access to External GPU

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by Hanterdro, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Hanterdro

Hanterdro Bit Poster

It would be cool if the external GPU could be assigned to a guest VM with direct Hardware access.

If this would be possible we could run the external GPU on a guest Windows with original drivers and native speed (and maybe out of the box DX 12) :)

BenjaminD4, David32, mdz and 4 others like this.
  2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Kilo Poster

Hello Hanterdro, we would request you refer this article http://kb.parallels.com/122807 to know more about how the Graphics card works on Parallels Desktop. Thanks, Shathish

3. Hanterdro

Hanterdro Bit Poster

If I would ask for something which would be working right now I didn't have to open a feature request... right? :)

But your article talks about Crossfire and SLI.
    I asked for giving a guest system physical access to an external GPU with high Sierra via Thunderbolt 3.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

I understand what you're saying, but such a feature is technically impossible with the current virtualization technology (not just with Parallels Desktop). However, your suggestion will be considered by our management.

5. JohnS41

JohnS41 Bit Poster

But on the new MacBooks, the Thunderbolt 3 Ports is connected with the PCI and not directly with the CPU. Therefore it should be possible to route a certain Thunderbolt Port directly to the VM

6. NathanM3

NathanM3 Bit Poster

+1 vote for this idea.
    Provide the option to grant the Guest OS native access to a discrete GPU (laptop) or GPU card (desktop) as an alternative to the virtual GPU. This should include support for Nvidia drivers (including CUDA and SLI), AMD ATI drivers (including Crossfire) as well as OpenCL and OpenGL.

Please note, I reviewed http://kb.parallels.com/122807 before adding my vote and suggestion details.

poshd likes this.
  7. poshd

poshd

MacBook,thunderbolt 3 port both can connect with the PCI so that u can directly route port to the VM.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018