VM disk space not available to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KwaiT, Aug 10, 2015.

1. KwaiT

KwaiT Bit poster

I created a new VM for Windows 7. Reinstalled Windows, Updated all fixes. The VM size was defaulted at 64GB. Everything was fine and windows 7 running properly.
    Then I followed the instruction from Microsoft (GET WINDOWS 10 APP) and upgraded it to WIN 10. Everything was fine, Win10 installed and running properly. But soon I realized that I am running out of disk space. So I went to re-configure the HD as follows:
    Under CONFIGURE, Hardware, Hard Disk 1, I resize it to 128GB and expanding checked.

But when I checked my C drive, it only shows 64GB and not much space left.
    Will Parallel Desktop for MAC v 10 automatically expand it on the fly?

upload_2015-8-10_17-25-14.png

This is what I see when I looked at the Disk Mgmt under Administration Tools in WIN 10
    I see the 64GB partition. What is the other 64GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)?
    I cant delete that partition?
    Please help get to increase the already resize VM disk.

Thanks

upload_2015-8-10_17-18-55.png

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

3. KwaiT

KwaiT Bit poster

Thanks for your assistance. I tried exactly like you suggested. But I do not have the unallocated partition as shown in the linked article. I have the Healthy (Recovery Partition). See above screenshot. When I right clicked on that partition, I only get a HELP option. I cant delete or even know if I am allowed to delete and caused my VM to crash

4. ChrisB4

ChrisB4 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue as KwaiT and time is of the urgency, unfortunately. To be clear, I want my Windows 10 virtual drive to have a 200 gb limit rather than the 64 gb limit it has now. The rest seems to be spit between seemingly useless partitions, and therefore it won't let me expand my (C:) partition to the 200GB it needs to be.
    Here is my screenshot:

Attached Files:

5. ChrisB4

ChrisB4 Bit poster

I have the same issue KwaiT. Please let me know if you have a fix for this.

6. Guys, please try the steps below in order to delete the Health recovery partition:

According to your description, I suggest you try using Diskpart command to force-delete it.

Please perform the following steps:
    Please take a snapshot before performing this steps (Actions -> Take a snapshot) to be save.

1. Open a command prompt as administrator. (Click start -> type cmd -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator)
    2. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart in the command prompt.
    3. In the "Diskpart" prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.
    4. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.
    5. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

Select disk 0
    Finish by Enter key.
    6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.
    7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

Select partition x

Where x is the number of the recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.
    8. Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Andrzejm1 and beta_redsox4886 like this.
  7. beta_redsox4886

beta_redsox4886 Bit poster

Thanks Maria, I had the same issue in Windows 10 your recommendation corrected the space issue.

8. Glad to know! thanks for your feedback

9. MichaelM14

MichaelM14 Bit poster

I cannot "delete partition override". I get the following error message: ...any advice now?

DISKPART> delete partition override

Virtual Disk Service error:
    Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile,
    crashdump or hibernation volume.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello @MichaelM14 you can solve it by making the Windows partition "active" and make sure the boot manager, pagefile, hibernation file, etc. resides on that same partition. Then you can format the old partition all you want and then follow this article to increase the hard disk of Windows virtual machine.

11. MichaelM14

MichaelM14 Bit poster

Great, thanks for the info!

Mike

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

You are welcome! Feel free to reach us anytime. We're here to help you. Thanks!

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Dear Chris, you may also refer to this article to check whether system wasn't extended properly.