VM doesn't have a network connection without being logged on

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Abyssal, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Abyssal

Abyssal Bit poster

The thread was moved from "User Solutions and Workarounds" by Xenos

Is there any way to setup Parallels to have a VM to have network connectivity without having to log on to the VM? What I'm trying to do is have the VM loaded without logging onto the OS and be able to a security scan of the VM. Unfortunately I can't even ping the VM OS until someone logs into the VM OS.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  2. Abyssal

Abyssal Bit poster

Ok, I figured out that we do have network connectivity on the Redhat VM, but it is spotty. I think it may be because we didn't install the Parallels Tools on the VM. I read in anouther post somewhere about binding the virtual adapter to the hardware adapter, how do you do that?

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Abyssal,

Please use Bridged Ethernet.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. Abyssal

Abyssal Bit poster

We are using bridged with the connect cable at start-up option. The connection is really unstable. When you ping the IP of the guest OS it will time out most of the time. I have read through the installation manual and as far as I can tell everything is setup properly.

Edit: I just wanted to apologize for not mentioning that we used bridged ethernet. I thought I did, but now I see that I omitted that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Abyssal,

Do you have Bridged Ethernet set in Configuration Editor or do you switch to it when the Guest OS is running?

There might be drivers issue. Please install Realtek RTL8029 Network card driver from here.

Best regards,
    Xenos

6. Abyssal

Abyssal Bit poster

We have Bridged ethernet set in the configuration editor. Is that driver for the guest OS's (We use Red Hat E5 and Solaris10) or is it for the host OS (windowsXP)?

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Abyssal,

I thought we were talking about Parallels Desktop.

I don't think you should change anything in Red Hat.
    For Solaris please install network driver the way described in Parallels Workstation User Guide, p. 83.

After that you can either use Bridged Ethernet or do the following:

1. Set Host-only network adapter;
    2. On Windows side share the Internet connection with Host-only network adapter;
    3. Try to get network connection from the Guest OS.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. Abyssal

Abyssal Bit poster

The problem has been resolved. The problem was that Parallels was trying to provide DHCP even though we were using static IP's. We had to turn off Parallels DHCP service in the windows services. After we did that we now get a steady ethernet connection. Thanks for all the help.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Thanks for the feedback, Abyssal.

Best regards,
    Xenos