VM files lost

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Keith Clarke, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Keith Clarke

Keith Clarke Bit poster

Folks,

I'm running Parallels build 1966 with Windows XP. Last night I had to force quit Parallels as it stopped responding. This morning it opened with a dialogue stating that my VM was corrupted, so I tried to open my backup, which had disappeared.

I now find that my VM files have disappeared & my Mac is acting very weird - dock reset to default, Finder preferences reset...

If this was my Windows PC I'd say I'd got a virus but the VM is protected. I'm assuming this is an OSX problem & will check out the Apple site but does anyone here have any clues?

Best

Keith..

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

A Windows virus could affect shared folders, or network-accessable folders (or drives) but if that isn't a possibility, OSX corruption, possibly due to a hardware problem would by my leading suspect. Actually, even if it was a Windows virus, your OSX may be corrupted.

Run the Apple hardware diagnostics before doing anything unrecoverable, and back up what's left of your machine before you reinstall if you take that route.

I had OSX corruption, and found the archive and install hung so erase and install was required. Once that was done, treating a backup of the original HD as an "old" Mac and pointing the upgrade assistant at it recovered much of my installation.

Good luck.