VM install issue: Insert Windows XP disk error during install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by wb8wkc, Jul 21, 2007.

1. wb8wkc

wb8wkc Bit poster

:eek: Sorry about the cross post... I posted the following in the wrong forum by mistake...:eek:

I have a new 24" iMac and have successfully installed Parallels and have run into an issue creating a VM. I am using a brand new Windows XP Pro SP2 retail disk. The install runs until it gets to the "Starting Windows" message. The installer displays the license agreement, I press F8 to "agree", next the installer prompts me to insert the CD despite the fact it is already in the CD drive. I hit enter several times... but it does not recognize the CD. I have noticed after a few minutes, the CD/DVD drive has stop and does not read the CD when I hit the enter key

I have tried Express, Typical, and Custom install using the CD
    I have tried Express, Typical, and Custom install using an image

I have even tried using bootcamp to create a native install and encountered the same error.

I purchased the retail disk from Microsoft via my employer's employee discount program.

Any suggestions?

Bret

2. kat

kat Product Expert

On my mac book I had to use the FN then the F8 key not sure if it is the same on the iMac.

3. icecore

icecore Bit poster

Hi,
    please check the reading surface of your Windows copy and make sure that it is clean and scratchless. If your driver reads the cd until the set up screen, the problem is probably in your copy condition.

4. wb8wkc

wb8wkc Bit poster

Thanks for the advice... I am up and running... I did the following....

1) Deleted bootcamp
    2) Uninstalled Parallels
    3) I ran verify on my hard drive.. there were a number of permissions issues
    4) Fixed the permissions issues
    5) reinstalled parallels
    6) cleaned the xp disk....
    7) installed Windows XP..... Yeah it worked!!

Thanks,
    Bret

5. icecore

icecore Bit poster

Glad you manage to work it out! cheers