Vulnhub VM's no network

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ThalpiusT, Feb 7, 2018.

1. ThalpiusT

ThalpiusT Bit poster

I wanted to try out some vulnhub images to test. I've converted the image (OVA files) to VMX which works great. There are no snapshots on the VM and no VM tools installed. Even though I can't seem to get networking to work. There's no lease from the DHCP server. I've installed loads of VM's in Parallels which works fine, but I can't really troubleshoot since I can't login to the images.

I can't find anything on google which helps. Since all installs works fine, but the converted images from OVA doesn't work I guess it's in the conversion. Is there something I do wrong? I've used this article to convert the image:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/122835

Any help is appreciated.

2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @ThalpiusT, can you give me a link to vulnhub image you've used for conversion? We will download and test it in our lab.

3. ThalpiusT

ThalpiusT Bit poster

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    the thing is that inside bulldog network interface is named differently when running on VirtualBox and Parallels Desktop.
    For Virtual Box it is named "enp0s3" and for Parallels Desktop it is enp0s5
    it is because for Parallels Desktop the device is located in "PCI Slot 5" and for Virtual Box in "PCI Slot 3". This is the way how Virtual Machine is organized inside.

I believe that the most convenient way to fix this it to enter to the Guest and change the name to enp0s5 in /etc/network/interfaces

Also it is possible to change the way how interfaces are named in linux.

See https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

5. ThalpiusT

ThalpiusT Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to change this in the ovf file?

<NetworkSection>
    <Info>Logical networks used in the package</Info>
    <Network ovf:name="Bridged">
    <Description>Logical network used by this appliance.</Description>
    </Network>
    </NetworkSection>

<Network>
    <Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="080027161D5F" type="82540EM">
    <DisabledModes>
    <InternalNetwork name="intnet"/>
    <NATNetwork name="NatNetwork"/>
    </DisabledModes>
    <BridgedInterface name="Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet"/>
    </Adapter>
    <Adapter slot="1" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="2" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="3" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="4" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="5" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="6" type="82540EM"/>
    <Adapter slot="7" type="82540EM"/>
    </Network>

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Unfortunately no. The only way to reconfigure it is in guest. I'd suggest to boot Linux in single user mode and make changes.

7. ThalpiusT

ThalpiusT Bit poster

That worked. Thanks for the great support!

Edit: For those who want to do the same thing: Download the OVA file from Vulnhub, convert it to VMX using the OVFTool from VMWare (ignore the support error messages) and import the VMX file to Parallels.

To boot to single-mode differs per distro, but for Ubuntu (Bulldog image) press E in Grub, add "single" after "ro" and press CTRL+X.

Use your favorite editor to change interfaces from enp0s3 to enp0s5 and you're good to go.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. AsmikT

AsmikT Bit poster

Hey ThalpiusT, can you help us resolve this issue of installing Vulnhub Boxes in Parallels. Can you write a Blog of how you converted all the files and installed the vulnhub Machines on your M1 Arm? Would mean a lot to all the people who started using M1 and lacking information of using machines in this architecture.

Thank you