CBinParadise
Bit poster
I'm not a rabid Parallels-basher.
I'm simply reporting that I installed v4 and hours later decided to roll back to v3.
If your config and needs are like mine, I definitely recommend waiting to upgrade.
Here are the problems that made me roll back:
1. v4 is much slower than v3 --- booting my VM is about 25% slower. See below for details of my configuration.
2. v4 introduces a horrible thick toolbar that runs across the top of the VM's window. Most screens are wider than they are tall, so the real estate that's most expensive is anything that takes VERTICAL space. Translation: horizontal toolbars are bad, vertical toolbars (like in v3) are good. And yes, my dock is on the left edge of my screen for this reason.
The new v4 toolbar can be made less tall by turning off all icons, and using text-only "buttons". Which is much less handy than having nice clear icons like v3 does. This is especially true because v4 introduces a few new commands like "suspend" which are visually indistinct from "pause" and "stop". If you're a little unsure about the differences between these, join the club.
3. The fatal flaw for me is that v4 no longer allows the the most popular VM screen resolution of 1280x1040 on my system. Time to tell you my config:
Intel dual core MacBook Pro 17" screen whose native max resolution is 1680x1050. I don't use an external monitor. I run MacOS 10.5.5
I don't need Windows very often. When I do, it's to run Excel 2003 macros and a few other essential things like that. I don't run Windows games.
So my main VM is configured with a 20gig drive, 512 meg RAM, and runs Win XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
Under v3, I can set my VM screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 --- a very common setting, and everything fits on my Mac screen in all view modes, just fine.
Under v4 the closest I can get without encountering scrollbars is 1500 x 963 --- losing 61 very valuable pixel rows. I cannot get my vertical pixel count above 963 no matter what I do. This really sucks.
I've spent a lot of time on this post, trying to help other users, and also telling Parallels about some real bad design mistakes. I hope somebody listens.
CB
I'm simply reporting that I installed v4 and hours later decided to roll back to v3.
If your config and needs are like mine, I definitely recommend waiting to upgrade.
Here are the problems that made me roll back:
1. v4 is much slower than v3 --- booting my VM is about 25% slower. See below for details of my configuration.
2. v4 introduces a horrible thick toolbar that runs across the top of the VM's window. Most screens are wider than they are tall, so the real estate that's most expensive is anything that takes VERTICAL space. Translation: horizontal toolbars are bad, vertical toolbars (like in v3) are good. And yes, my dock is on the left edge of my screen for this reason.
The new v4 toolbar can be made less tall by turning off all icons, and using text-only "buttons". Which is much less handy than having nice clear icons like v3 does. This is especially true because v4 introduces a few new commands like "suspend" which are visually indistinct from "pause" and "stop". If you're a little unsure about the differences between these, join the club.
3. The fatal flaw for me is that v4 no longer allows the the most popular VM screen resolution of 1280x1040 on my system. Time to tell you my config:
Intel dual core MacBook Pro 17" screen whose native max resolution is 1680x1050. I don't use an external monitor. I run MacOS 10.5.5
I don't need Windows very often. When I do, it's to run Excel 2003 macros and a few other essential things like that. I don't run Windows games.
So my main VM is configured with a 20gig drive, 512 meg RAM, and runs Win XP Pro SP3 with all updates.
Under v3, I can set my VM screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 --- a very common setting, and everything fits on my Mac screen in all view modes, just fine.
Under v4 the closest I can get without encountering scrollbars is 1500 x 963 --- losing 61 very valuable pixel rows. I cannot get my vertical pixel count above 963 no matter what I do. This really sucks.
I've spent a lot of time on this post, trying to help other users, and also telling Parallels about some real bad design mistakes. I hope somebody listens.
CB