What address to ping a VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by David Esp, Jan 9, 2010.

1. David Esp

David Esp Member

Parallels 5 running very nicely (on a MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard).

I just want to know, how do I ping my VM (Windows 7) from another machine on my local (192.168.0...) network ? I understand that if I set the VM's network adaptor to "Bridged" then the VM will get its own "192..." address (presumably allocated by my router's DHCP). But is there a way to ping a VM without having to do that, like some kind of address (that of the host OS I guess) accompanied by a port or whatever?

No actual problems, and I can ping other machines from the VM, which is based on Boot Camp. From Boot Camp the W7 can ping other machines OK and (once I told it my network was Local, not Public, as is default) it can be pinged OK from elsewhere.

I am just trying to get more comfortable about networking and to be in a stronger position to handle any problems, should they arise.

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hello Espy,
    assuming VM is in bridged mode, in command line, please execute the following command:
    ipconfig /all
    Host name string will display name that you can use instead of IP address to ping the virtual machine from another computer.