What do you do when you run out of licenses?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ariell, Jun 22, 2007.

1. ariell

ariell Member

Since there are many things that can go wrong with virtual OS software, it is very likely that you (like me) will be forced to install windows multiple times. But this gets rid of you permitted installs of Windows, and your product key soon becomes worthless. What happens if you have to activate Windows more than 3 times? In reality, I'm not using it (nor have installed it) on more than 3 computers... So what happens when you can no longer use your product key? Ask Microsoft for more activations? Something tells me that won't work.

2. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

You lie...

Seriously, you just call the number in the Windows actvation screen and tell them you have a computer that has crashed and you need to re-install the software. I have done this numerous times and never had an isse getting a new reactivation code.

3. maztec

maztec Member

It is just a pain in the neck to callt hem every time..

and I do not see where ariell lied.

4. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

I don't see that at all.

One of the advantages of the virtual machine over a real PC is that you can backup the entire PC and "restore" it by using an older copy.

I make a weekly backup of my Parallels PC's and whenever something goes wrong, I simply use a backup. I never ever re-installed Windows in a VM. That never even occured to me. First thing I thought when I started using VM's was "good bye re-installs".

Why do you re-install?

5. ariell

ariell Member

If I said something which isn't the case, it was not intentional. Thank you for standing up for me, maztek.

Microsoft charges for even making a phone call. Is there a free number for this, and are they helpful and responsive?

Sure, you can make backups, but when I was first trying out parallels and installing windows, I had a problem and installed (and activated) again. Out of the blue, it said that the system settings or hardware or something changed drastically and that it needed to activate again. And and old backed up .hdd file didn't change that. Nope! The product key said that it was all used up.