What is going to happen??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KathleenB2, Jul 13, 2021.

1. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Last week I purchased a new M1 24" Mac. After receiving it and realizing about the issues related to Windows on the ARM machines when trying to restore the VM from my old machine with Time Machine backup, I almost sent it back. But I decided to at least try moving forward with Parallels. I am glad I did. I was able to download and install a new VM with the Windows Insider Preview. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro key for a very good price and haven't looked back. I have not found any issues with the new installation of Parallels and the Windows preview build. And I am enjoying the Mac side of the M1 machine.

My only question is this: Will the preview build ever "end"? Will we have to buy a Windows 10 ARM version of Windows? Will we have to buy Windows 11? And if so on any of these, will we have to rebuild the VM with a newer/final version of the Windows ARM? I hope not. Many hours spent in rebuilding current VM with software and settings.

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

The first workable release build will be Windows 11 RTM. You do need to buy new licence if you already have licence for Windows 10.
    As for Windows 10, it's very unlikely that there will be new builds beyond 21390. Probably, last autumn release of Windows 10 will be just build 19144 (which is not workable on M1).

3. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. Will we have to build a new VM or upgrade current one?
    Can we just stay with the Windows 10 for a while? Will there be any updates at all to the last build?

4. KathleenB2

KathleenB2 Junior Member

Thank you so much.

So if Microsoft doesn't develop versions of Windows which work on ARM hardware, does that mean that the future of Parallels is limited? I have been using Parallels for essential software for over 10 years. I don't think I could continue with Mac machines without the ability to run Windows. Microsoft Access is my most essential software and not available on Office for Mac.