What & where is PC authenication info stored?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kenackr, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Kenackr

Kenackr Bit poster

I have installed the trial version of parallels 6 for mac on my 8 core mac pro 4,1 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I then installed a virtual machine on the mac using the original win XP pro (sp3) disc that currently runs on my PC. Parallels tools is installed on the mac, and Parallels Transporter agent is installed on my PC.

Following the instructions in the Transporter user guide, I start transporter agent on the PC and then select "import" under file on the mac parallels desktop. A small window pops up and identifies PC and it's IP address as the source. After I select "continue" on that window, up pops another small window saying that "the" computer needs authentication asking for a username & password. Here is where it all stops. I have no clue what username & password it is asking for.

Is it asking for the user name & PW for the mac pro? (I tried it & no go). Is it asking for UN & PW for the PC? (I never gave the machine either & have tried all the usual combinations used for other things in the past.) No go again. Clearly, the information must be stored somewhere on the machine that wants it but after 4 hours of looking I gave up.

Can someone tell me how to find that authentication info OR how to replace it so I can finally see if this thing actually works so I can purchase it? Once again, the PC is running under Win XP Pro sp3. I'd really like to use it if I can verify it works properly.

The machines are networked together with Ethernet cables plugged into a new ASUS router (Dual band RT-N56U gigabit router). I am able to pass files to the mac thru the "shared docs" folder on the PC and both machines are identified in the network as seen from both machines.

Thanks for any help,

Ken

2. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

the username and password for the windows computer you are copying from. even if you "never gave it any" you still have a username. (your password would be blank). generally it will be your name that windows asked for when you set it up.

go to start -> control panel -> user accounts. see what the user is that you log in as (even if you never actually log in, again there is a username associated with your account).

3. Kenackr

Kenackr Bit poster

Tony,

Thanks for the reply!

Yesterday when I was deep into it, I did go to user accounts to see what was what. My account name is Ken and the account type is administrator. Thinking as you may be, I left my account name alone but I did use the change password window to set (or reset) the password to my standard preference. Sure enough, just now when I booted the PC, it went through the login screens (which I had never used before), and asked for my password and it accepted what I typed in.

Parallels Transport agent started when I energized the PC. I'll now see if there is any difference in getting Transporter to open up the PC. I'll let you know what happens.

4. Kenackr

Kenackr Bit poster

Tony,

That worked. Apparently I didn't think making that change in the user account (to actually add/change the password) yesterday made a difference but then I didn't shut down both machines and reboot them to see, as I did today. The username & password for the PC user account were indeed the authentication the PC was looking for. As soon as transporter was given the OK, the transport began.

I was hoping to have the ability to choose which applications (with it's attendant data) would be down loadable but that that didn't happen and so began a 100 gig transfer that took about 3 hours over Ethernet cables. I have a bunch of Adobe & Apple programs that were on the PC that I had also bought Mac versions for so those are redundant but what'cha gonna' do?

It may be a small point but I would recommend Parallels to add a note in their transporter User Guide that the username & password for that account will be needed at an admin level and not just a guest.

I'm in the process of checking out some Win programs to see if all will be well and have found 1 program that freezes when I use the UNDO function that is provided in that program. Looking for a workaround now.

In case anyone cares, the program that gives the glitch mentioned is Chief Architect's "home designer Pro 9"

Thanks again, You saved my bacon.

Ken

5. RusselJ

RusselJ Banned

Thank you,this is what I want to know.You all save my day!Thumbs up![​IMG]

6. Kenackr

Kenackr Bit poster

Question answered.